When to Open Bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I just bottled 100 bottles of 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington State. I crushed and fermented these grapes last October and they were in a new 80L Vadai barrel for 7 months.

I opened 1 bottle and it tasted pretty good but it's a bit more tannic than I'd like (I assume because it just came out of oak).

Are there any rules of thumb or suggestions on when to open bottles? 3 months, 6 months...???

Hard to say, but as soon as they get here, I'll open one and note the date. :D

I'd give it 6 months and try one. If it is still too tannic, go another 6. Or 3, whatever works for you. You might try opening a bottle and decanting for an hour or two, if you really want to start drinking it.

Kinda soon by my book.... My 2014 crush will hit the bottle in April of next year.... Start drinking a couple months later.... Let it sit for 6 months and then taste.

So this brings up a fair point. Better to bulk age or just age in the bottle? What about someone using carboys? Do you think it matters where it ages if there is no barrel involved?

My opinion is a Cabernet Sauvignon needs 4 years minimum, 7 months in a new barrel, assuming it is a smaller barrel, means lots of tannis. Leave it alone for a couple of years it will be good, leave it alone for 4 or 5 years it will be great.

2 years at a minimum. If you added tannin then that will factor in. If you pressed hard that will factor in. My 2011's are just now ready to be entered into competition IMHO.

Well you can alway invest $300 towards a coravin and sample 1 bottle month by month or year by year while never having to remove the cork.

I disagree respectfully. I've used them and followed studies done on them. save your money. The cork is still compromised and at the most you're only buying a few days.

Back