When to move wine kit from primary to secondary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylerl33

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just over 1 week into making my first ever wine kit. It is the WineXpert private reserve williamette pinot kit.
The directions were quite a bit less detailed and less thorough than I was hoping for, mainly here during the primary fermentation.
It gives very detailed instructions on how to get it all started on day 1, ending with "Add yeast, put lid/airlock on fermenter, and keep 68-77 degrees".
The very next step is called "Day 14 - Stabilizing and Degassing", but there is a chart that says Day 14 S.G. should be < .996
It is currently Day 8, and I am already at .996 S.G.
Do I wait until Day 14 regardless of my S.G. already being at the so called "target" for day 14?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd rack now. The wine is done and it's not going to benefit from remaining in the primary.

Keep in mind that kits are written for beginners who have no experienced help. They are designed to produce a successful outcome, but are far from optimal. But they work.

A large part of the instructions has the purpose of preventing the customer from producing 28-30 mini-volcanoes.

I'd rack now. The wine is done and it's not going to benefit from remaining in the primary.

Keep in mind that kits are written for beginners who have no experienced help. They are designed to produce a successful outcome, but are far from optimal. But they work.

A large part of the instructions has the purpose of preventing the customer from producing 28-30 mini-volcanoes.
Cool! That's what I was thinking and hoping to hear. Just wanted some reassurance. Thanks!

Cool! That's what I was thinking and hoping to hear. Just wanted some reassurance. Thanks!
As @winemaker81 stated, the instructions are designed for you to be successful without incident. They want to sell you another kit, so there are fail safes in the instructions to increase success and eliminate risks... Without explaining any of it to you.

Take good notes. I am always going back to look at what day I racked, bottled etc. Wine changes a LOT in the first 6 months. If you can make your wine last you will be very interested to look back as flavors develop. Always a good Idea to make more than you expect to drink so you can have some to compare later.

This place is a wealth of knowledge. I am also a new wine maker, and have made VERY good wines from kits, and otherwise, with the direction and guidance of the members here. All of my kits are better than I expected, but I gave them more time than the kit bottle date on the recommendation of members here.

Welcome, and don't be shy to ask the questions that come up along the way. I'm not sure if we are just a genuinely helpful group, or overly opinionated, but I guarantee you will get plenty of opinions if you ask! 😀

Latest posts

Back