When to Give Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lwrightjs

Reaction score
I have a wine that I accidentally added campdeb tablets too, too early. The SG got down to 1.010 before fermentation stopped. I've racked it and splashed it a few times and it's been 4 weeks now. And after making a few yeast starters, it's still not moving.

It's a cheap kit wine but one that I'd like to keep. how long should I give it before I dump it? Or before I'm wasting my time? If I hold onto it for another few months before fermentation starts up, will I have off flavors?

You have discovered one of the techniques for creating a sweeter table wine. There is a lot of commercial table wine drunk with residual sugar.

? Time to have friends over for a party? ? add brandy and turn it into a port?

Expect that if you are trying to restart the ferment with a stronger yeast you will expose it to oxygen getting the yeast going and increase the risk of acetaldehyde at tasteable level, (brushed apple aroma/ increased burn going down). we all produce some (especially country wine makers) so it is not the worst thing in the world.

Both of those ideas seem reasonable. It definitely tastes like a good sangria candidate. Probably won't have to add extra sugar.

How long do you think I can wait it out?

Also, let's say I did go port.. What's next? Do I just get some brandy and go for it? I've actually never even had a port wine before.

Waiting it out? Lots of factors here... Do you have the equipment to leave it alone without jeopardizing something else in your overall winemaking plan? As far as the brandy, you'll have to do some bench taste tests. Good luck!

Jeez. Just did the math.. Id need like $300 worth of brandy to turn this into a port.

Don't toss the wine! Continue with kit directions and bottle the wine in due time. You have multiple options once it's in the bottle.

1. Use George's idea, sangria.

2. Serve to friends/family who prefer sweeter wine.

3. Mix, bottle by bottle, with a dry wine to produce a less sweet blend that may be more palatable.

4. Cook with it. You're never notice the sugar in a large pot of spaghetti sauce.

Exactly 8 weeks later, I look in the carboy and it was fermenting again!
This is both great and terrible because I was already making plans for turning into a dessert wine for Christmas.

Which is why it is risky to bottle wine with RS, without going dry and using Sorbate. You can still let it go dry and backsweeten to make your dessert wine.

Yeah, if I were going to bottle, I definitely would've added sorbate.
It's just crazy to believe though. I walked into the room, and after months of it being inactive, I saw it foaming up like a monster. It was awesome.
When that happens, does it take longer to age?

Latest posts

Back