when to filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
When I bottled my last batch (About 90 bottles) I ran it through a filter just before bottling. I am starting to wonder if that compromised the taste of the wine. I had it oaked with staves an used finishing tannins. I thought it was tasting OK before I bottled but each bottle seems to be missing the oakiness. Maybe a filter should be used before adding oak.

How long has it been in the bottle? Could it just be bottle shock? I’ve never heard of a filter stripping the benefit of oak. Since most oak is from a barrel and filtering is after aging, if it is done, I can’t see that being the issue.

I’d have to look for it, but I read that the smallest compound that you can taste is 10X smaller than the sterile filter size of .45 micron. What may be stripped out are elements that affect mouth feel, which serve to change the taste of wine.

If I filter, I will do it when I do the final racking, before bottling; within a week of bottling.

Latest posts

Back