when to de-gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunwolf

Reaction score
although I am not new to winemaking, I have a de-gassing question.
I often read in posts that many de-gas the wine at the first racking, sometimes the second.
I de-gas only when I am almost ready to bottle. after my wine has cleared totally (usually around six to eight months, but may be sooner or later)
I do a final rack, then degas let sit for a few weeks then bottle.
Am I doing this too late? will I clear faster if I de-gas earlier?
thanks for the input.

Degassing earlier might help your wine clear faster or maybe I should say earlier. But if it's clear and then you degass I'd think that would be sufficient.

Green Mountains is absolutely right! Degas your wine as soon as its done fermenting. If you leave the gas in there it will keep solids suspended in your wine also. If you are making wine from grapes then the pressing of the grapes will do 95% of the degassing for you and the rest of the gas will come out over time and your wine should clear fine without any further physical degassing. If this is a bucket of juice or a kit then degassing will let your wine clear much easier and faster leaving you months down the road with much less of a chance of having that fine dusting in your bottles.

just top echo what was said and maybe add a slight thing....w grapes, the pressing pretty much handles things....and if you do a natural mlf the spring after the crush...keep and eye.....if you are doing a kit then just get a paint whip and stir up for two minutes after racking to age vessel.....add your sorbate ( if that is in the plan) and whip that up for 2 minutes....then add the k meta...whip that up for two minutes...if clarifiers are being used...whip them up for two minutes.....by time you get done, you should be in great shape that leaves you w little gas....simple time to let particles drop out and a temperature in the upper 60's to low 70's will do the rest..and if you need to vacuum out at that point, it should be a breeze

and no one will ever complain about your gas again :)

thanks guys! I mostly make wine from fresh anything I can get easily. some hold alot of gas and some hold very lttle. I should start making note of this in my log book.

I will start degassing earlier. I have never had a complaint about my gas;)(or the wines)

I must be a bit dense - how does pressing of the grapes help with degassing?

simply put...during fermentation, co2 is produced..when you press that fermented mass it squeezes out the gas bubbles...

Okay, my bad - I misinterpreted pressing of the grapes - I was thinking of the the grapes being pressed when they are picked.

Latest posts

Back