When to clear and sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my sparkaloid and sorbate ready. Blackberry wine hasn't moved in like a month. Now at .95. Is that dry enough? Did it get stuck?

Now that it hasn't moved do I clear then sorbate or the other way around? How long in between?

Got my sparkaloid and sorbate ready. Blackberry wine hasn't moved in like a month. Now at .95. Is that dry enough? Did it get stuck?

Now that it hasn't moved do I clear then sorbate or the other way around? How long in between?

Lotta questions. .995 for a month, you're done. Rack off the sediment, add KMS, sorbate, and mix well. Add your fining (per instructions), mix it in well and let it roll.
I'm assuming you intend to bulk age and not try to degas at this stage since you didn't mention it.......

Lotta questions. .995 for a month, you're done. Rack off the sediment, add KMS, sorbate, and mix well. Add your fining (per instructions), mix it in well and let it roll.
I'm assuming you intend to bulk age and not try to degas at this stage since you didn't mention it.......

No I will be degassing and bottling. I only have two gallons so I'll probably just shake and burp each bottle even though it's an annoying way to do it.

After I do what you said should I wait a certain amount of time for running agents to drop more sediment before degassing and bottling?

No I will be degassing and bottling. I only have two gallons so I'll probably just shake and burp each bottle even though it's an annoying way to do it.

After I do what you said should I wait a certain amount of time for running agents to drop more sediment before degassing and bottling?

Insert some degassing activities of your choice after KMS and sorbate when you're happy with that. Clear afterwards. I'm assuming since you'll be bottling quickly, that'll be in the next few weeks. Once clear, before bottling, do your backsweetening. Try to let it sit a little while before bottling.

You could wait on the sorbate til you're clear, but before you sweeten.

Latest posts

Back