When to add Chocolate Extract to Sour Cherry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcOlivetti

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m starting a Apres Sour Cherry Dessert Wine (Port) and purchased some Chocolate Extract from Olive Nation.

I’ve searched this site and am unsure When to add? And how much??

This is a 3 gallon Kit with a starting SG target of 1.119 and a fermenting area set for 75* target temperature.

Do I add the chocolate extract in the primary at the start? During The Chaptalization Step (Day 5-7 if SG is at <1.020)?? Or at the Clearing Step at Day ~15 (if SG is on track) along with the Flavor Pack??? Then how much extract for 3 gallons to get a Cherry Chocolate profile vs. a Chocolate Cherry ?

Any help would be appreciated.

I think the extract should be added shortly before bottling. I’m not sure how much you should add. I would try adding a small amount- 2 tablespoons perhaps, stir gently, let it sit for a day and taste, then add more. Alternatively you could do a bench trial with a 4 ounce sample but you would need to add very small amounts of extract to taste. Once you get a ratio you multiply to determine the amount needed.

Back