When to add Camden tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
when is the best time to add Camden tablets? when the solid fruit is still in the must or after straining? Doing a mango/pineapple wine. Going to freeze my fruit first, should I still simmer must?
how long in between adding Camden- Pectic enzyme- yeast? Last one should I add white grapes or black tea for tannin?

I have no suggestions on what to do with the pineapple or mango. I would use pectic enzyme.

You can hold off adding the campden until the end of fermentation. If you have concerns over incoming bacteria or wild yeast, then a dose can be added before fermentation. I've never had a problem with adding Sulfites at the same time as pectic enzymes. Campden shouldn't be added (or needed) during active fermentation.

Do you want tannin in the wine? I don't think of fruity wines having a significant amount of tannin in them.

The general thought is add Camden (metabisulphite) any time you are doing a transfer. Your first dose is prepping a must and it keeps wild yeast/bacterial infections at bay, waiting over night before sprinkling yeast is typical. second and third etc when you rack to a carboy (strain into a carboy) and the function turns from Microbiol protection to prevention of oxidation with off flavor development as it ages in the new container.
when is the best time to add Camden tablets? when the solid fruit is still in the must or after straining?
i do not simmer, with many fruits this frees pectin which makes it harder to clear. Camden and pectase operate independently.
should I still simmer must? how long in between adding Camden- Pectic enzyme- yeast? Last one should I add white grapes or black tea for tannin?
Tannin is a personal preference, it provides interest at low levels. White grape does not add significant tannin. Another choice is a low flavor tannin designed for fruit wines/white wine called Scott labs Blanc.

Last edited:
Back