When should I start seeing new growth?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremick

Reaction score
This is my first spring having the vines already in the ground (planted last year). I did a dormant pruning earlier this year.

I'm wondering at what point I should start to see new growth? If all my vines died over winter I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later...

I'm located in Vermont (Zone 4b).

Attachments

• temps.png
    temps.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 6
We’re in NorthEast Ct. Planted our vines last year, so this is our first year as well. All vines are showing good buds. Marquette buds are looking like they will be opening in about a week. Other vines are Chardonnel and St. Vincent. Looking good but a little behind the Marquette.

My CT river valley site will likely be breaking next week starting with Marquette and Frontenac. My lake camp site in the higher ground of Tolland county, which is all Cayuga maybe a few days after that. I think you’re two zones colder than either of my sites so I’d guess May 15-20 for your zone to see them start breaking.

I think you’re two zones colder than either of my sites so I’d guess May 15-20 for your zone to see them start breaking.
Oh phew, I'll wait a bit longer before panicking. :) Weather is supposed to be nice this Saturday so I'll walk the rows again and see if anything's changed since last time.

if vine is still viable cut a vine at the end if green, vine is good if not vine at that point may be dead. keep cutting until vine is green then is is okay. also once sap start ruining vines may weep at the point of pruning

if vine is still viable cut a vine at the end if green, vine is good if not vine at that point may be dead. keep cutting until vine is green then is is okay. also once sap start ruining vines may weep at the point of pruning
Well I already did winter dormant pruning all the way to 2-3 buds above ground, so I'm hesitant to prune further. :/

Sure wouldn't prune any more. Be patient vines should bud out before middle of May. Generally need daytime temps into 70's and overnight in 50's

You can do a scratch test to see if there's green (less intrusive). I really suggest waiting 2 more weeks as you are in a more northern zone. I suspect you have a little longer to go. I'm in Ohio and just have bud break happening.

I agree with the "wait longer" recommendations. we're in zone 5b here and our vines buds are now just starting to swell - probably be another week or so before bud break. Good luck

Just an update that all my vines are showing growth at this point. There were three that I was still convinced were dead up until a week or two ago. The spectrum of growth vigor among the vines is quite extreme, though. Some are certainly happier than others.

Latest posts

Back