When should I start checking my SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easymoney22

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first 1 gallon size batch of wine last Sunday (07 Feb) and pitched the yeast on Monday. It is a cherry wine and has been fermenting at 62 degrees since. I am still getting pretty regular bubbles out of the air lock. The SG when pitched was 1.111. Should I just leave it alone until its not bubbling or start checking?

Also, while I am here. I fear that once I take the fruit out I will have less than a gallon in the secondary fermenter...conflicting advice on topping it off with store bought wine or water...I am leaning toward water so the wine stands on its own when I am finished. Thoughts?

Since you're just getting started, check the SG whenever you feel like it, it'll put your mind at ease to see things moving, and also alert you to any potential problems should they arise. Most likely, as you progress with your winemaking, you'll get a feel for the SG and check it much less. 62F is pretty chilly for a ferment, so it may take a week or more at those temps, mid 70's will get you across the finish line much more quickly. Also, with a rather high SG, your wine will be approaching 16% ABV as it finishes, so it could be even slower as the yeast nears its limits.

My personal opinion on topping off, and the opinion of most on this forum, is to use a like wine to top off with, as opposed to using water which will dilute the aroma, flavor, body and ABV. I recognize that it may be hard for a beginner to top off a cherry wine with a "like" wine, since you don't have any laying around from a previous batch, and probably won't find cherry wine in the store, but do the best you can. Find something that's a similar color, with cherry notes, like maybe a pinot noir to top off with. Even Boonesfarm Tickle Pink would be better than water, in my opinion. Unless you are woefully short when it's time to top off, it'll still be your wine..............

I agree with @Johnd, top off with a like wine or the pinot noir that @Johnd mentioned. Also I agree with checking the SG when ever you feel like it. The yeast are giving off a lot of C02 to protect the wine while checking SG.
What I will ask is, what yeast did you use?
Depending on the yeast that you used will determine a ball park figure of what your ABV will be. All strains of yeast have a different tolerance to alcohol. Since you started on the high end of SG, that tolerance will determine where the yeast may stop fermentation at.

Thanks @Johnd and @Rembee

I will check the SG tonight. I am disappointed to hear my ABV could get that high... wasn't really the plan. just followed the recipe WRT to added sugar.

I used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast that I started in water prior to pitching,
Then I'm afraid that the ABV may go that hi. Doesn't mean it will but I would think at least 16% to 18%.
But if it does you can always make another batch of the same cherry wine and use a lower starting SG and a lower tolerance yeast like Lalvin 71B.
If you ferment at, lets say around 1.070 to start with, then you can blend the 2 together.
This will lower your finished ABV and still be the same cherry wine.
Just food for thought.

Then I'm afraid that the ABV may go that hi. Doesn't mean it will but I would think at least 16% to 18%.
But if it does you can always make another batch of the same cherry wine and use a lower starting SG and a lower tolerance yeast like Lalvin 71B.
If you ferment at, lets say around 1.070 to start with, then you can blend the 2 together.
This will lower your finished ABV and still be the same cherry wine.
Just food for thought.
Thanks again.. that sounds like a good plan.

Thanks @Johnd and @Rembee

I will check the SG tonight. I am disappointed to hear my ABV could get that high... wasn't really the plan. just followed the recipe WRT to added sugar.

I used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast that I started in water prior to pitching,
We’ve all done that!! Best plan is to decide what ABV you’d like in the end, and let the corresponding SG be your goal for your starting SG. It’s really pretty easy once you decide that its important.

yep,, you can rack anytime between 1.000 & .996,, the three day rule though,,, will alert you to a stuck ferment as well as a ferment stalled due to, to much alcohol for the yeast you use,
as for he way i do mine is I keep only EC-1118 & K1V-1116 , but since now that I'm older and no longer drink much spirts, i add extra fruits-berries-concentrates, so my wines are about 17% and up but no fire water taste to the,,,,
Dawg

I started my first 1 gallon size batch of wine last Sunday (07 Feb) and pitched the yeast on Monday. It is a cherry wine and has been fermenting at 62 degrees since. I am still getting pretty regular bubbles out of the air lock. The SG when pitched was 1.111. Should I just leave it alone until its not bubbling or start checking?

Also, while I am here. I fear that once I take the fruit out I will have less than a gallon in the secondary fermenter...conflicting advice on topping it off with store bought wine or water...I am leaning toward water so the wine stands on its own when I am finished. Thoughts?

Would you be willing to share the recipe you are using with me?

OK - Racked it today at .995. Looks like I will have to add almost a half a bottle of pinot noir to top off my gallon jar. Live and learn...Starting a strawberry tomorrow...will start with 1.25 gallons this time and a 1.085 SG

OK - Racked it today at .995. Looks like I will have to add almost a half a bottle of pinot noir to top off my gallon jar. Live and learn...Starting a strawberry tomorrow...will start with 1.25 gallons this time and a 1.085 SG
I like to keep different size's of bottles with bungs to airlock them in,,, , a universal bung for a 3 gal to a 6 gallon bung turns upside down will fit a wine bottle, so a 1 gallon jug with a thumb hole. takes a 6.5 bung and has 38-400 threads i keep pints, quarts, half gallon and gallon jugs with 38-400 threads and all fit drilled 6.5 bungs for making extra and gives you top off of what you are making, just make larger ferments and you'll have plenty to top off with,,
Dawg

Last edited:
Back