When should I rack to secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJC

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Told you it wouldn't be long til I had my next newbie question.:h As I have learned kit directions are just a guide line and I am not sure when I should rack to secondary.

Initially I was scared my yeast wasn't working, but over the last few days the SG has dropped significantly.

EC1118 Yeast pitched on Dec. 17th SG 1.085
Dec. 19th SG 1.080
Dec. 20th SG 1.060
Dec. 21st SG 1.020
(Today)Dec. 22nd SG 1.010

The kit instructions say to rack to Secondary after 10 days which would be the 27th and SG should be at 1.010. The krausen has completely reabsorbed and only a small amount of fizzing continues.

If this was your kit, when would you rack to secondary? Should I just keep taking SG readings and wait for it to level off? I read transferring to quickly to secondary can shock the yeast and get stuck fermentation, but I feel like waiting till the 27th might be excessive now.

Much thanks for any advice.

What kit are you making? I usually wait till it's close or at 1.005.Check the temp of the wine if white I prefer a slow cooler ferment if red fast warm ferment. Yes the directions are just a guide. Some wait till it's completely dry but I don't but if it gets away from you I wouldn't stress over it. You don't need to check the status everyday but your new and anxious I know but I usually just make sure to stir it the first five days then take reading. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
I usually give my kits at least 7 days in the fermenter. I only do kits with skins so I'm always looking to maximize the amount of time the skins come into contact with the juice. At 7 days it's usually fermented dry. At the very least you should snap down the lid on your fermenter and get it under air lock.

Hey everyone,

Told you it wouldn't be long til I had my next newbie question.:h As I have learned kit directions are just a guide line and I am not sure when I should rack to secondary.

Initially I was scared my yeast wasn't working, but over the last few days the SG has dropped significantly.

EC1118 Yeast pitched on Dec. 17th SG 1.085
Dec. 19th SG 1.080
Dec. 20th SG 1.060
Dec. 21st SG 1.020
(Today)Dec. 22nd SG 1.010

The kit instructions say to rack to Secondary after 10 days which would be the 27th and SG should be at 1.010. The krausen has completely reabsorbed and only a small amount of fizzing continues.

If this was your kit, when would you rack to secondary? Should I just keep taking SG readings and wait for it to level off? I read transferring to quickly to secondary can shock the yeast and get stuck fermentation, but I feel like waiting till the 27th might be excessive now.

Much thanks for any advice.

My best advice is to follow the kit instructions, in terms of racking, based solely upon your hydrometer readings, not time. When you hit 1.010, rack to glass. Next, when your SG is below 1.000 and doesn't change for three consecutive days, fermentation is complete and you should proceed with the next steps according to your instructions.

Time or SG, whatever is longer.

If the SG drops in 5 days, but the directions say 10 days wait 10 days.

If the SG is still at 1.020 in 10 days, let it go until it hits 1.010, even if it adds several days.

With kits, it's paint by numbers, follow the instructions. With fruit, the answer will depend on a lot of factors, mostly the quality of the fruit.

Personally I don't even check the sg of a kit until 5-7 days. If the sg is 1.005 or below, I rack to carboy. If it's not, I do some thinking.

Steve

Latest posts

Back