When should I rack off lees from secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsavage

Junior
Reaction score
Started some welch's wine about 15 days ago. Racked into secondary at a SG of 1.103 about a week ago. It's currently at 0.991, the air lock (one of the larger ones, not the S type) it bubbling at about 1 bubble a minute. Maybe even a bit less. There's about 1/4" of sediment and I'm wondering if now is a good time to re-rack or if it's ok to leave it on the sediment for longer. I don't want any off flavor's from the lees. How do you guys time your racking? How much is too much sediment to leave in the carboy?

Once fermentation is complete - rack off and stabilize your wine. 3 consecutive days of the same SG indicates the wine is done fermenting.

You have plenty of time, 15 days is nothing. When you think the fermentation has stopped...... check the SG, write it down, check the next day and then the next. If it doesn't move, it is done fermenting. Then you can rack into a clean carboy.

Alright, well, the SG is still reading the same. There's a tiiiiiny bit of bubbles sliding up the top of the carboy, but not much at all. I think I will rack tomorrow. Should I stabilize now? or wait until right before I bottle? Does it matter? It's got a layer of sediment on the bottom, but it's not clear by any means.

Also, does it make a difference if I add k-meta before or after I rack? I'd prefer not to stir up the sediment, but I guess I could stir the k-meta in and let it sit for another week and the reck.

I say wait and stabilize after racking if you have ANY plans of a skeeter pee.

Great question! I have another question to add to this.

You have plenty of time, 15 days is nothing. When you think the fermentation has stopped...... check the SG, write it down, check the next day and then the next. If it doesn't move, it is done fermenting. Then you can rack into a clean carboy.

I'm confused. Why does it stop fermentation after 3 SG readings anyway? Is it because the alcohol content of the batch kills the wine yeast or does it create an unfavorable environment, like maybe the yeast is still alive(i'm not sure) but the conditions aren't minimal for yeast activity. The yeast needs oxygen, nutrients and temperature, but if there is to much CO2 to displaced the oxygen (because of bunge and airlock, air tight container) what happens if I racked into the carboy and introduced more oxygen from splashing to 'create a better environment' for the yeast?

What happens if all of a sudden it starts to ferment again after I rack into a clean/sanitized carboy? I'm guessing the K-meta will help kill the wine yeast this if I add it after I racked, degas for 3 minutes with a spoon, stabilize, and degas? How much k-meta do I add per gallon or litre, also do I add the fining agents at the same time? Wait 2 weeks after this?

Thanks!

Great question! I have another question to add to this.

I'm confused. Why does it stop fermentation after 3 SG readings anyway? Is it because the alcohol content of the batch kills the wine yeast or does it create an unfavorable environment, like maybe the yeast is still alive(i'm not sure) but the conditions aren't minimal for yeast activity. The yeast needs oxygen, nutrients and temperature, but if there is to much CO2 to displaced the oxygen (because of bunge and airlock, air tight container) what happens if I racked into the carboy and introduced more oxygen from splashing to 'create a better environment' for the yeast?

What happens if all of a sudden it starts to ferment again after I rack into a clean/sanitized carboy? I'm guessing the K-meta will help kill the wine yeast this if I add it after I racked, degas for 3 minutes with a spoon, stabilize, and degas? How much k-meta do I add per gallon or litre, also do I add the fining agents at the same time? Wait 2 weeks after this?

Thanks!

It doesn't stop fermenting after 3 SG readings, the point of checking the SG after 3 days is to ensure it has finished fermenting before you stabilise and backsweeten the wine..

It stops fermenting because the yeast has either consumed all available sugars, or, the yeast has eventually been killed by a high alcohol finish in the wine.

Once the wine is finished, you can rack or splash rack to add more oxygen to your hearts content, though I don't recommend it. It won't improve it for cellaring. More oxygen means less cellaring time.

What are you hoping to achieve with your homemade wines? Are you thinking your wines will win competitions? or be acceptable to be served up at home BBQs?

Allie

Back