WineXpert When is it "yours"?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamKA

Reaction score
Making a kit wine to me seems like its "their" recipe and so you wouldn't be able to enter it into a competition...? When is it "yours" for competition purposes? Is blending 2 kits enough? or does it need to be something completely new from scratch?

I'm just curious.

If all kits are "theirs" then EVERY bottled entered would medal. It's YOUR as soon as you start the wine. Things than can affect the wine:
Temp
Time
Sanitation
Rackings
Not following directions from the kit (or..us)
How long its aged
and many more.
Good example is the upcomminh WineMakers Competition. There are alot of kit wines entered ..yet, the dont all medal.

If they want it back, they can have it after you've drank it all LOL

Making a kit wine to me seems like its "their" recipe and so you wouldn't be able to enter it into a competition...? When is it "yours" for competition purposes? Is blending 2 kits enough? or does it need to be something completely new from scratch?

I'm just curious.

I understand what you mean. Yes you make the wine and can really botch it up. Most of the time it can be good, but if you do things just right and then some, it can be outstanding. That one should win a medal wether or not you made everythin in it or not.

If you take raw grapes and crush/destem, press and and adjust everything, then that puts you on another level. If you get it all just right and it is great, then you deserve a medal and can be "especially" proud of it.

Then you can take it up another notch. Grow the grapes keeping them clean and free of disease and pests, then pick them and continue on as the previous category. Then if you get it all just right, you might win a medal. These medals are fewer and farther between and are even more rewarding.

Does one category deserve a medal more than another? No I don't think so, but when I win one from the last category- I know I did it all myseld and feel really good inside.

In the Ct competition I judged in last year we seperated all the kit wines from wines made from fresh juice and grapes and judged them seperately. I believe thats the way it should be done. I do believe wines made from fresh grapes is much ore work and needs much mret attention.

Latest posts

Back