when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When good wines gone bad

WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD AND IT'S SISTER THREAD IT WAS TO SHOW THAT YOU CAN DO DIFFERENT THINGS WITH A WINES TASTE PROFILE AND HAVE FUN DOING IT ALSO THAT IF YOU MADE A MISTAKE NEVER TO GIVE UP YOU CAN ,MOST TIMES MAKE CHANGES TO IT AND OR TAKE SOME KIND OF CORRECTIVE ACTION.THE FIRST PERSON I REMEMBERED SPEAKING TO ON THE OLD FORUM WAS TONYT.,AND WE DISCUSSED WHAT CAN BE DONE AND WHAT SHOULDN'T BE TRIED.TO THAT END WE AS HOME WINEMAKERS DON'T HAVE A LIMIT ON WHAT WE CAN DO .DO TO THE SMALL BATCHES WE DO.6,5 AND 3 GALLON BATCHES AND CORRECTED IN SHORT ORDER FOR THE MOST PART, ARE SANATATION IS JUST AS CONTROLLED,WE ARE NO DIFFERENT THEN A WINERY ONLY MUCH,MUCH SMALLER ,WE ARE THE SAME, WE HAVE STANDARDS JUST LIKE THEY DO .IF IT WASN'T' T FOR THE FACT THAT I'M NOT A LEGAL WINERY I WOULD LOVE TO GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH THE ONES IN NEW JERSEY JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY REALLY GOT ,IN A BLIND TASTE TEST.
WE ARE WHAT WE ARE A GROUP OF PEOPLE JOINED BY ONE COMMON THREAD THE DESIRE TO MAKE AND SHARE OUR WINES AND IDEAS, NO MATTER HOW FAR FETCHED IT COMES OUT, ITS STILL SOME THING YOU CREATED ,IT TOOK THOUGHT AND PLANNING NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME.
LETS CHANGE THE TOPIC:r

Getting back on topic…. I had an epiphany!!!

I practically got into this hobby for the sole hope of making something resembling Amarone for < $7/bottle. I made a CC Showcase Amarone as one of my first kits. I have now made a range of other kits, mainly big reds. My wife and I were mulling over what the next kit should be, and she suggested it was time for another Amarone, now that I have some more experience. I am biased towards using ultrapremium kits, but have always wanted to try a Joe's Wine Tweakfest Amarone.

I just had an epiphany: I will make BOTH a CC Showcase Amarone and a Joeswine tweakfest in succession. That way, they will have essentially the same age, and I can compare them through time. Plus, I get 60 more bottles of Amarone. Score! :D

Joe, do you mind if I call you "Beppe"? I hope that is not too forward of me. If that is okay, I think I will call this Amarone di Beppe.

(In fact, maybe Joe should change his name from "Joeswine" to "Vino di Beppe"?) :sm

Sharaz viognier,,cru 6 week kit

THIS WAS A SUPER KIT TO WORK WITH AND THE OUTCOME WAS EXCELLENT..FOLLOW THE FLOW:mny

IMG_20140330_122710081.jpg

IMG_20140330_122536984.jpg

IMG_20140728_132604638.jpg

IMG_20140728_132954958.jpg

IMG_20140728_134037405.jpg

IMG_20140728_134341215.jpg

IMG_20140728_134410423.jpg

IMG_20140728_134428894.jpg

IMG_20140728_134638195.jpg

IMG_20140728_135136682.jpg

Sharaz/vioginer

:spmAT THE FINISH LINE..........LET IT SET UP FOR A COUPLE OF MONS. THE SEE WHAT THE WORK WAS ALL ABOUT.

IMG_20140910_151203742.jpg

IMG_20140910_152627566.jpg

IMG_20140910_152652335.jpg

I practically got into this hobby for the sole hope of making something resembling Amarone for < $7/bottle. I made a CC Showcase Amarone as one of my first kits. I have now made a range of other kits, mainly big reds. My wife and I were mulling over what the next kit should be, and she suggested it was time for another Amarone, now that I have some more experience. I am biased towards using ultrapremium kits, but have always wanted to try a Joe's Wine Tweakfest Amarone.

I just had an epiphany: I will make BOTH a CC Showcase Amarone and a Joeswine tweakfest in succession. That way, they will have essentially the same age, and I can compare them through time. Plus, I get 60 more bottles of Amarone. Score! :D

Joe, do you mind if I call you "Beppe"? I hope that is not too forward of me. If that is okay, I think I will call this Amarone di Beppe.

(In fact, maybe Joe should change his name from "Joeswine" to "Vino di Beppe"?) :sm

OK, Paul - I like your thought process here. A big thumbs up for the Showcase Amarone - it is the bomb!

Now, I made a Vinifera Noble Amarone (~$70), alla Joeswines. Started it Nov, 2013 and bottled 2/14. Added all the oak that came with it to primary and added a pound of raisins and used BM4X4 yeast. Racked to carboy at about SG1.00 and added 4Tbsp tannin. Followed directions from there. It is OUTSTANDING! Should have let it clear more and now I run each bottle through a Mellita coffee filter but it is still incredible! I will make it again soon. If you want an 'every day' Amarone, this could be it. I have made this one several times, Renaissance Amarone (now 3 years olf) and Renaissance Impressions Amarone (now 2 years old) each once. The end result is the tweaked VN Amarone is FAR better. I highly recommend trying it!

I just got through with the clarifying on my Renaissance impressions with skins. I wonder if there's anything I could do at this point.

I have a couple newish American oak barrels--would the amarone benefit from sitting in a 10L barrel now, or should I wait til it goes neutral?

OK, Paul - I like your thought process here. A big thumbs up for the Showcase Amarone - it is the bomb!

Now, I made a Vinifera Noble Amarone (~$70), alla Joeswines. Started it Nov, 2013 and bottled 2/14. Added all the oak that came with it to primary and added a pound of raisins and used BM4X4 yeast. Racked to carboy at about SG1.00 and added 4Tbsp tannin. Followed directions from there. It is OUTSTANDING! Should have let it clear more and now I run each bottle through a Mellita coffee filter but it is still incredible! I will make it again soon. If you want an 'every day' Amarone, this could be it. I have made this one several times, Renaissance Amarone (now 3 years olf) and Renaissance Impressions Amarone (now 2 years old) each once. The end result is the tweaked VN Amarone is FAR better. I highly recommend trying it!

I was thinking about that lower end kit, I think it is only 10L.

Did you add the raisins at primary?

Varis, I did a low end ($75.00) RJS Italian Valpola with advice/help from Joe. Re-used a saved RJS WS grape skin pack in primary, used 1 pound of raisins in "secondary" and back sweetened with 1 cup of sugar. 2 months bulk and 2 months bottle aging and it came out great.

Ms Renee

PS. you dont grow pumpkins do you?

Ok, this made me laugh out loud. :)

Carry on Mr. Joe. This is YOUR thread. Keep doing the thing you do. Great tutorials.

Sent from my iPad Air because I spilled wine on my MacBook. Waaaah! :(

Varis, I did a low end ($75.00) RJS Italian Valpola with advice/help from Joe. Re-used a saved RJS WS grape skin pack in primary, used 1 pound of raisins in "secondary" and back sweetened with 1 cup of sugar. 2 months bulk and 2 months bottle aging and it came out great.

Thanks Bill. Is that also a 10L?

Thanks Bill. Is that also a 10L?

No, RJS VdV kits are 9L.

With my level of knowledge and confidence I'll only tweak, if I tweak at all, lower end kits and leave the higher end kits as is.

Last edited:

Yes, I added to the primary for this one. I've had mixed success adding raisins later so I prefer adding them early. This Amarone is well worth the time.

I believe the instructions say to hold the oak until secondary but, when I have done that, I find the oak overwhelming.

Oh, and another thing :b. I have the Showcase Amarone bulk aging now. But after I racked from primary, I added all the fixin's from a GCI Barolo/Nebbiolo to the gross lees of the Amarone along with the grape/oak pack from the amarone, the dried grapes and oak from the barolo, 1 Tbsp tannin, 2tsp fermax and BM4X4 yeast. That puppy was fermenting well in about 90 minutes.

It is in bulk now but I have sampled a couple times and it is really good already and only 2 months from pitching yeast. This is going to be a real winner. Kind of a 'Barolo Ripassa'.

This is really fun! Thanks Joe for the inspiration. :b

I want to start by saying that I've chosen to avoid posting due to differences of opinions with a few of the admin, I also chose to remain silent to avoid any negative debates here, lord knows that the last time I wanted to try to correct a lot of incorrect info posted on this forum, I was demoted and told that I let the ""power of being a mod on this forum" go to my head...lol...these are exact words that I still have the emails to prove, any way, I left, I got the hint, and I'v remained silent ever sense, even though I periodically read the forum.
This said, I'm reading a post, Good wines go bad, and I see that Putteerr or however he/she spells their name, make the comment "PS. you dont grow pumpkins do you?"
If you have an issues with me, address me like a man, email me and get it over with, your petty attempt at humor apparently got a few chuckles out of lone star lori, that in itself made me chuckle, I'm glad that the most inexperienced wine makers look up to you, you should be proud, but again, feel free to contact me, I'll be glad to talk this through, but to settle your infantile jab, no it isn't me posting, your glorious admin can check my IP address, and by the way, Lori, stick to kits, trying to pretend that you're a wine maker is wasted, Putteerrr, when your ready to start making real wine, look me up, i'll be glad to give you a few tips.
I'm sure that I'll get banned for this post instead of an admin looking at this as a reply to an attack.
Again, If you are half a man, (that goes for putteerr and Lone Star Lori) contact me, don't be petty.
And as far as my take on Renee, you had the chance to see things from the other side of the wine industry, instead, you let you let your insecurity as kit wine makers mask your better judgement. I mean really, you let a brand new wine maker like paul dictate how the conversation went, how embarrassing is that folk.
Tom

Pumpkinman

You are right it was a poor attempt at humour but that was not my intent. It was a reminder to those that have been on this site for awhile that things can and do get our of hand very quickly. And they did. I was totally out of line and will remove the offending post. I apologize and take full responsibility.

Ron

Putterrrs' comment was amusing to me in that I took it to mean many of the comments made by Ms Renee were quite condescending.
Maybe you don't see yourself as that way, but you DO have a history of such comments. Here is a great example: "by the way, Lori, stick to kits, trying to pretend that you're a wine maker is wasted,".

Have you seriously been hunkering under that bridge for months just waiting for the word PUMPKIN to come up so you could go on the attack once again? No one referred to you directly, which is more than you have done.

I used to respect you and had asked your advice on several occasions. Your comment about my wine making is way out of line.

Sent from my iPad because I spilled wine on my MacBook. Waaaah! :(

Nobody gets banned on this forum because they "know too much". They do however get banned all the time for being rude, crude, and socially unacceptable to the other 99% of users here on Wine Making Talk. If you start a "flame war", become a user that takes up an inordinate amount of time and energy to look after by the Admins or Mods trying to keep this wine making forum the "Happiest Wine Making Fourm on Earth", or you just can't seem to play well with the other children in the sandbox. You will be shown the exit door. Its just that simple.

I mean really, you let a brand new wine maker like paul dictate how the conversation went, how embarrassing is that folk.

I am, indeed, a new and inexperienced maker of wine. However, I have been a human being for quite a while now. My tyro status as a winemaker is not relevant to my response to the pomposity and obduracy of the poster.

That you should feel that my engaging her was "embarrassing" on those grounds is, frankly, out of line. Knowledge does not grant anyone the right to behave uncivilly.

I sincerely hope you are doing well in your endeavors.

Mike, you guys check ip addresses on a regular bases, you already know that I haven't been posting. I know how this forum is run, I had access to the mod area, so please, let's be honest with ourselves.
Lori, hunkering down under a bridge....lol....get over yourself, I've been part of another wine making blog, and beermakingtalk, not to mention running a wine club, being a member of a beer club, putting together group buys (ask around, we even had a member of wmt join us for a day), all this while making wine, real wine, wine from fresh grapes sourced from some of the best vineyards in California and Washington State.
Hunkering down under a bridge...lol....yeah, that's what I've been doing....lol Unfortunately, I still have a few friends that frequent this website so I check their posts to see what is going on, unfortunately, I came upon a reference to me and your case of chuckles at my expense, as far as having your respect, don't waste your time, I don't need it.
I'll bite my tongue and keep my personal opinions to myself.
as for everyone else that tried to contact me, I hope that all is well.

Latest posts

Back