when good wines gone bad

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
i just picked up the reformulated SLD Merlot. I was surprised that it came with the EC1118. It’s been a little while since I started one of these, but could swear it came with RC212.

I haven’t yet started this kit. Thoughts on a yeast swap? And maybe the addition of some tannin in the primary?
Here are my notes from the last time I made SLD Merlot (old format). This turned out really well.

Used ICV-D254, sprinkled on top. Added 7.7 g FT Tannin Rouge. 60 g oak dust (from kit) into muslin bag with grape pack. SG before Grape Pack was 1.082, rising to 1.098 after two days. Added 2.5 g Tannin Riche Extra during bulk aging. Taste at bottling was very good, albeit a bit oakey/tanniny?
Despite the last comment, the wine drank really well after a year or two.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Here are my notes from the last time I made SLD Merlot (old format). This turned out really well.

Despite the last comment, the wine drank really well after a year or two.

Interestingly, my notes indicated heavy oak early on as well (though it was still very good) But after 18+ months, it was an outstanding wine.

DitchDave

Junior
Reaction score
I plan on starting the new kit today and intend to follow this approach. This will be the first time I will do different than the kit way and I had a question. You said to pitch both the rc212 and the ec1118 which comes with the kit. I have rc212. Why pitch both? Should I pitch the rc212 initially and the ec1118 when the SG gets down some, maybe SG 1.3 or 1.2? I'm curious what I should expect with the 2 yeasts together.
not often on here but I have been using rc212 to do start ferm, then after pressing add ec1118 with nutrient to work to finish. I use my own grapes - low sugar - high acid Atlantic Canada

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Mulitable yeast usages is not uncommon and can make a plan jane wine more complex

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
I've just completed the Winexperts Double Pinot Noir and the Muscato. both I've used 1118 & 1116. At this point in time their bothin the final stages before bottling,,both premium kits.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
something different comes your way. BLACK CURRENT the overall product was deep and rich in flavor and texture a lot of work but worth it.

Attachments

Darrell Hawley

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just completed the Winexperts Double Pinot Noir and the Muscato. both I've used 1118 & 1116. At this point in time their bothin the final stages before bottling,,both premium kits.
Joe, did you add anything to the Pinot Noir ? Going to start one up next week and would like to know what adjustments to make. Thanks.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Balance at finish was spot on Pino I'm let to age a little.
Mascat, is good to go anytime 3mo.is a good time frame to set up.and enjoy

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
today I started my first FINER wine kit, its a sanginovese with grape skins. The package is very interesting in some ways
cold shipped nice touch. anyway started it interesting how your mind is use to see packing and now your reading from a manuscript very cool, how ever not much different from a normal kit at this point but it forces you to READ, yes I say it READ, how mean to old people:i any way so far so good very interesting I of course add wine tannins to the primary but the rest is staying the course.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Ok went down this morning it seem fermentation is starting, I'm use to see more cap then is there now ,well let time donits work ,I have a package of ec1118 at the ready just in case.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Finer kit.
Now the cap is strong I'll let my hydrometer be my guide.