when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Zesting

What was your primary question about zesting, which are likely to go over and brief many fine partnership to compliment your wine, cellos, and or corrective measures, ?which are pleasure...:dg

Answer to the question

No,, the only sanitation required is to wash the fruit of any of its contaminants and by the way ,water is a good way of doing it ,, but if you have a lot of berries and you're making a mild solution of water and white vinegar will help kill the mold and bacteria . Then once again rinse and prepare for and F pac,,,, zesting, just requires clean skin .

Would still like to know what happened ?
/

Cleaning up the question

It seems tannic acids in barrel fermentation , aging seem to mask over the potassium bitarate crystals, because of the these sentiments in the wine . The crystals manifest themselves soon, and dropout.

There are formal articles written on the chemistry of wine .:db

Understanding potential alcohol

Here's were sometimes I have a shortcoming .and that's why I always try to fortify my alcohol normally at one point 010 , that's right. Like all to start.
T
There are three ways to refer to the sweetness of a must – brixs, specific gravity and the potential alcohol . . Both brixs and specific gravity are scales utilized to measure the relative amount of sugar in a juice or must .
S
Brixs Is is expressed in degrees , is degree equivalent to 1 g of sugar ( especially sucrose () per 1is approximation only.the predicted alcohol level of wine is expressed as ,degrees brixs multiplied by 0.55 equals percentage of alcohol . in other words 22 brixs will not ferment to 11% of alcohol, but slightly over 12% .brixs- is named after its inventor , Adolph brixs

We let's face it, without the alcohol why would we want to drink it? getting alcohol right in understanding how to use a hydrometer- its the key to any winemakers formula . if your not sure of how to read a hydrometer, ask someone, I did after, started to understand he of chemistry win. I move much faster throughout the process . if you don't have a hydrometer there is no recommendation for you , it a must have a piece of equipment every winemaker has to have ,you should know how to use and read and have a backup one , when you break it , and you will. :tryU

To be continued...................................... have a great night:dg .

Last edited:
Good vibrations

Let's see, we talked about light affecting the wine , temperature affecting the wine , time affecting the wine, how about vibration?

This is something that is very little talked about and all not altogether understood . Story wines in the cellar for your vibration seems to be based more on a romantic ideal that on a empirical evidence. There is no clear indication that vibration has any ill effect on the aging process, the vibration may impede the natural clarification process and the usual sedimentation of phenolic substances . MyMy view, . Why take the chance? If you're ultimate storage area is vibration free all about her . On the other hand, you shouldn't worry needlessly if the 519 train goes a slight trembling to your wine room as it rumbles by .
On the subject of transporting bottle wine, is always a good idea to allow the wine to recover , before opening. the low road trip, the lower the recovery.. Mrs. the primary reason white wine kit recipe we suggest that you sample the first bottle at least one month after bottling , . This is the. Time. And newly bald wine needs to recover from " bottle shock " .transporting bottles in an upright position is less harmful because the air gap, or utilization will barely stir up the wine . transporting bottles in a horizontal position allow the air bubbles to travel the length of the bottle close the wine to stir considerably .

So now you, traveled with bottles upright position and not to worry ..................... some of the tips seem minor but they all play a role in the game we call wine making . .......... are you with me so farI
.?

Good tipic Joe. So why do they say not to store wine directly on the floor. Or is that old BS.

tonyt

CAN BE TIPPED OVER AND BRAKE?:slp

VIBRATION IS ALL AROUND US,CAN'T STOP IT FROM HAPPENING,EVEN IN THE DEEPEST WINE CAVERANS THE EARTH SEND OUT SIZE MIC VIBRATIONS,NOT AUDIBLE TO THE HUMAN EAR,OR SENSES,IT ALL HAS TO DO I THINK MAINLY WITH THE CLARIFICATION PROCESS,MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE,AT LEAST THAT'S MY TAKE.HOW ABOUT YOU?:mny

Additionally

I DID DO SOME RESEARCH ON THE SUBJECT AND IT SEEMS IT ALSO HAS THE DO WITH THE ACCELERATION OF THE AGING PROCESS,BY MOVING THE MOLECULES FASTER THE AGING PROCESS CAN STEED UP AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY,AT LEAST SOME RESEARCH SHOWS ,ALSO IT DOESN'T ALLOW FOR THE WINE TO SETTLE OUT NATURALLY ,THIS THEN DOESN'T LET THE NATURAL FLAVORS TO COME FORTH AND AROMAS....INTERESTING:ft.

Oxygen friend or foe

Oxygen, we needed to breathe and to regenerate life ,. But how does it affect wine?
This is a subject that touches every , from the smallest amateur winemaker to the largest . One reason world and as I have explored and done some research only to find that is it is a subject without end.

So let's start, . Although court – Stoppard wines intentionally allow for new school amounts of oxygen to see it over a period of time , is beyond this can prevent the proper development of bouquet. an ARE
.proper varietal. are as. can Also be obscured or destroyed. . Some wines are more affected by oxygen and other.,. for Example. WHILE T are low in acidity.,.. Those traits that . allow the wine to age . ex PH rises. or acidity falls.,. the potential for oxidation increase. wh W pH rises ,the wines phenols react to each other and fall out as sentiment , increasing the wines potential for oxidation . wines with a higher pH have lower potential for aging an and wines with a lower, make any sense .

Listen close because this is going get tricky

Last edited:
A double-edged sword

Oxygen, can prove to be a double-edged sword if not used properly and with a considerable amount of knowledge. We're cellar dwellers don't have to deal with a lot of things that modern wineries do, but we still have to deal with oxygen, whether it's to enhance their wine or corrupt wine that come in contact with it and wine comes in contact with it every day, even when it sealed in small molecular amounts and sometimes a little larger, sometimes it's just a bad seal on a carboy or poor bottling practices. introduce wine to oxygen even though we take precautions. Let me run
some things by you , . Here is a process that deals with micro oxygenation, yes that's for real, micro – oxygenation is a process used in winemaking to introduce oxygen into the wine in a controlled manner . Developed in 1991 working with exceptional tannic grape tannat in madiran, process being usage in modern winemaking following the 1996 authorization by the European commission . Today the technique is widely used in Bordeaux as well as at least 11 different countries , including the United States and Chile.
So here we go ,introducing oxygen into the wine to help bring out flavors, and different nuances , in the wine.
I
Oxygen, can be our friend not only when we do fermentation but after , you just have to know how to handle ........... to be continued:tz.............. told you this is when the tricky

Last edited:
The process

THERE ARE PROCESS IN PLACE FOR INTRODUCING OXYGEN INTO THE WINE AND ITS A FINE BALANCING ACT.BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE CORK A BOTTLE, WITH HEAD SPACE LEFT AND THE OXYGEN LEFT WITH-IN?..WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IN RED WINES AGING IN A BARREL,DOES IT BREATH?DOES OXYGEN AFFECT THE WINES AROMAS AND STRUCTURE?OR DOES IT WEATHER IT DOWN?...

TO BE CONTINUES.:mny

The process

This is for those deep thinkers, the process of micro oxygenation involves a large two chambered device with valves interconnecting to a tank of oxygen .in the first chamber that oxygen is calibrated to match the volume of the wine. In the second chamber the oxygen is injected into the wine through a porous ceramic, stone located at the bottom of the chamber.. The dosage is controlled and change range anywhere from .7523 cubic centimeters per liter of wine.. The process normally occurs in multiple treatments that can at last anywhere from one or two treatments during the early stages of fermentation (to help avoid stuck fermentation )to a more prolonged treatment during maceration period that can last four to eight months.

It has an impact on color, aromatic bouquet, mouth feel and fall phenolics content. .............. how's that for process. :tryS

Headspace the final frontier

NOW ,ASK YOURSELF HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH OR TOO LITTLE ?:wy TO BE CONTINUED:gn

Oxygen in the wine

Benefits

The exposure of wine to oxygen in limited quantities can be beneficial to the wine . There needs to be a bounce too much oxygen can lead to oxidation and too little can lead to reduction and the ensuing wine faults . In Oak barrel aging, the natural properties of wood allows for a gentle erudition of the wine to occur over prolonged .period . This means in the polymerization of 10 to larger molecules , , which are perceived on the palate at softer . The perception of micro-oxygenation aims to mimic the effects of slow barrel naturalization Leisure. And for less of the long-term costs associated with Oak barrels . It also enables more control over this process, as opposed to barely observing it in such a natural material containers is barrels .
During fermentation, the added oxygen can help maintain viability the yeast to minimize the risk stuck fermentation in the production of undesirable sulfite's . . After fermentation it
. be Bme a. in Hie clarification and stabilization. of Ohe wine. wi Wout resorting to the use of fining agents..

So here we are a double-edged sword too much is no good too little is now the ,control and balance that is the basic policy of the body and the structure of the wine remember we started this a long time ago . The body and the structure of wine this is a key component for without it component . :u:sm .To be continued:ftN

Finding and filtering

Aging can be accelerated by removing the solids of a young wine. More solids removed, the shorter the successful age. Of your wine, generally because the solids help to bring out the evolved aromas and flavors of your aged wine. Some of the suspended solids and have your constituents will be removed during the finding and filtering process. Follow the recipe directions I recommend that you use a manually powered filtered unit when filtering, send you can control the pressure and the speed at which the wine is processed through the filter pads . Motorized machines tender fillet quickly and can strip away more than needs to be removed, taking the stuffing out of the wine . Although winemakers may disagree. You may find a comfortable middle ground by using a motorized filtration unit that offers multiple speeds ,, allowing you to filter your wine slowly or quickly . The advantage of the motorized unit is that the flow of the wine is steady. Remember that any wine kit requires finding or filtering this is just about everyone kit on the market, has been formulated to endure and the wine well eventually blossom, showing its every taste and talent . All you need is a little patience.

I myself, filter via a pump I have a Bruno jet many filter , and the new in-line filter system that I bought here and the website . I Bruno jet pump , is something that come become accustomed to using bearing the filtered grades , spacing of the time voiding as much oxygen as I can it it has always been a trusted friend to, the new pump I get to use but I will soon it takes me time to get acclimated to new products but as long as I have it on hand . I know I can take my time do my research and give it a test run .
I don't believe that there is one stage of wine process that is more critical than the other , I think all of you who read this will agree and filtering in finding is no different . patients is required at all times by understanding what the different filtered grades can do for your wine . It makes a marked difference in the sediment that sometimes becomes suspended and settles out later in the bottle from polishing wine . It's great to have the flexibility of using different pads . :mnyA

So far on this thread we' we've come along. Thanks for staying with me ............... will continue.............:hug

Sanitation. What does it mean to me?

Everyone says that the making of wine begins in the ground with the vine the dirt sunlight the air and water, to that I agree but what happens once it hits you and me?

In most cases fresh juice the sterile and so our kso that case when we need to sanitize , and clean every item that comes in contact the wine . For those of you who make kits , . The very first things you'll read from the manufacturer is clean and sanitize all equipment , enough your binder juice from the manufacturer like Walker's , bill also come with instructions and very first item on their to do list is to sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine . Fresh juice on the other hand does not for the most part come with how-to instructions , . Basically you 6 gallons bucket of wine . Open it up yeast in it , , meaning maybe finding. . Agent with 24 hours ,for the yeast to activate one of those in the specific gravity and away you go .

If the preparation you do before it goes the secondary vessel that makes the difference, sanitizing can be achieved in many forms and with a variety of chemicals , when and how we use these chemicals can make a difference in the result of our wine .

If you think we back can if you've been following – when good wines gone bad – I mentioned the partnership between wines and blending , this is very close to the same thing is a partnership to bacteria, and the chemistry of of the the. the partnership of the yeast the bacteria Weather by potassium metabolic sulfate powder , campden caplets these are just some of the chemicals that play a role and it's partnership in the making of wine

But let's get back to what we were discussing sanitation methods and partnerships in cleaning and sanitizing.

To be continued.................:gn

The sanitation cycle

Actually, it's never-ending and rightfully so .

Inspect equipment, , sanitize equipment, clean equipment, sanitize equipment, rents equipment, cleaning equipment, sanitizing , allow let air dry and then store .

Seems like it doesn't, but why should I sanitize. Generally speaking , anything that comes in contact with your wine must or wine must be sanitize - and this especially includes your hands , which are a great source of microorganisms and lactic acid bacteria . . The most common pieces of wine making equipment that require sanitation include stoppers or bonds , airlocks, carboys, bottles , to be,thermometer, fermenting bucket or demmi John, wineries, , simple jars, hydrometer's bottling wand or systems , racking cane, siphoning equipment , measuring devices such as cups and spoons and stirring paddles, rods and spoons .

What are approved sanitation methods for winemakers

To be continued......... Thanks for hanging in there :wy

Latest posts

Back