When do I stop stirring the Brew?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mango Madness

Reaction score
I stir the brew everyday for a week then leave it. Is that long enough or is there some rule of thumb to follow?

I stir mine the times a day (mainly due to working from home and three is easy) until I put the wine under airlock. Might be 4, 5, 6 days whatever it takes to go from starting sg till 1.0xx sg or whatever I rack at.
Thanks for your reply. So don't put the airlock on straight away? I finished the brew on last night about 7 last night and when it was cool at about 8 this morning I added the yeast and about an hour later it started coming out of the airlock. It keeps expanding so I keep stirring it.

Attachments

• 275010863_1544370302602203_3665546864946385685_n.jpg
    275010863_1544370302602203_3665546864946385685_n.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 7
Use the forums to search - no need for an airlock at this point -
primary bucket covered by towel or a lid just sitting on top. Do a search for terms like foaming, covered primary etc

for instance I found this in a post

“we If your must/wine is foaming up, you are probably doing your primary fermentation. If that is the case, you do not necessarily need an airlock. If it is the initial alcohol (primary) fermentation, you can dump it in a bucket and cover it with a lid or towel. Once the fermentation dies down you can move it to the demijohn with an airlock.”

Last edited:
Use the forums to search - no need for an airlock at this point -
primary bucket covered by towel or a lid just stirring on top. Do a search for terms like foaming, covered primary etc

for instance I found this in a post

“we If your must/wine is foaming up, you are probably doing your primary fermentation. If that is the case, you do not necessarily need an airlock. If it is the initial alcohol (primary) fermentation, you can dump it in a bucket and cover it with a lid or towel. Once the fermentation dies down you can move it to the demijohn with an airlock.”
Thankyou so much.

Thanks. I did have a few searches with not much luck and thought I might just put it out there. Thanks once again.
Search works great -- if you know what keywords to use. For beginners, that can be the hard part.

Look through the first few pages of the beginners forum, skimming the posts that appear interesting. That will help a lot.

Search works great -- if you know what keywords to use. For beginners, that can be the hard part.

Look through the first few pages of the beginners forum, skimming the posts that appear interesting. That will help a lot.
Yes I was about to say that. I don't know all the terms. Someone directed me to a good blog. Learnt so much in a day.

This is nit-picking, but; normally a wine batch is not called a brew but a wine must. It's not some grievous error but it does appear a bit odd or suggests that the poster most often "Brews Beer" rather than "Crafting wine." Beware, such high crimes and misdemeanors can get you .... Harrassed by posts like this.
:h

This is nit-picking, but; normally a wine batch is not called a brew but a wine must. It's not some grievous error but it does appear a bit odd or suggests that the poster most often "Brews Beer" rather than "Crafting wine." Beware, such high crimes and misdemeanors can get you .... Harrassed by posts like this.
:h
Much appreciated. Trying to remember the terms lol

Latest posts

Back