When did you get serious about labels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that if I don't label the wine, it's not "finished". I really enjoy the process of imagining and creating the labels, and I have my own strange 'style' which makes me and a select few other laugh when they get the joke.

I print my labels on the Avery 6503 removable, full-sheet labels. This way it doesn't matter if the labels line up with the pre-cut label lines on their other papers. I just design them how I want them and cut them out before putting on the bottle. I find this also cuts the amount of waste involved as I can also use the blank bits of leftover space for canning labels.

I also use the Avery 3276 full sheet clear, removable window labels on whites. It prints out beautifully, and really makes an impact on a clear bottle.

I've been getting labels like these from my local brew shop for about $9 a pack (72 labels). http://www.4thandvinelabels.com/Fruit-B17062.htm There are other patterns, but I only get the 9 per page ones. They are about the cheapest (12.5cents) I could find that were brain dead easy to print using a laser print that wont run and still look decent. Also, I've been buying good kits lately that are coming with labels, but I do wish Eclipse would spice it up a little, they all look alike.

steve

I have historically just put informational rings around the bottle necks. Just print 16 per page, cut and tape into a ring. Recently though I have given thought to making proper labels... I feel many people's expectations are influenced by a polished looking product...

1429969499386.jpg

1429969511509.jpg

I find that if I don't label the wine, it's not "finished". I really enjoy the process of imagining and creating the labels, and I have my own strange 'style' which makes me and a select few other laugh when they get the joke.

I would like to see one of your labels ,,, I like the way you say """"" I have my own strange 'style' which makes me and a select few other laugh when they get the joke. """ as thats a way I would do it ,,, if I did it ... cause """ I have my own strange 'style' """ I have been told this a lot ,, and the clear label I like

We don't feel the wine is finished without a label also. We enjoy thinking up a name and label for each of our batches. This also gives us something to do with each batch as we are waiting patiently for the wine to age. Our labels are on the light side (funny) and the people that we have given bottles to have seem to like them. They seem to go with our personalities.

We use Open Office with Avery labels to pinpoint the date of birth and varietal, applied just below whatever labels come with the wine kit.

I started off making labels that sorta kinda mimicked the labels you might find used by commercial wineries but these days I want to know when I open a bottle when that batch was started; what the key ingredients are; the variety of yeast I used; the date I bottled the wine, the final gravity and/or sweetness; and the ABV. When it comes to gifting these bottles I will add a second label with graphics and the like.

Maybe I'm cheap but I can't see paying these online sites the prices they are gouging for labels.

Staples has the Avery arch labels right now 90 for $10.99 with rebate and they will laser print them in color for 60 cents per page (9 per page). I'm going to try that out. These should look pretty good and I can customize them with any graphics and text for a total cost of under 19 cents per label.

steve

I make my own in Word, with the use of graphics and picmonkey.com. Print them off at work, then cut them out at home and use a spray adhesive. With that said, I usually only make 2 gal.+ batches so it is only 10-15 labels to put on at a time. It only costs me time and a can of $5 adhesive every few months.
Here are a few of mine.

Blue_Dragon2C_Fantasy[1]2014.jpg

concordgrape2_label.jpg

jalapeno_label.jpg

JAOMapplepear.jpg

My wife stated she appreciated the labels because she could quickly identify each wine. I now really enjoy coming up with different labels for different wines. I buy the online labels. Depending on the stock you get about 600 labels for $10 to $20. And yes, I too have a color laser printer and love it!

I would like to see one of your labels ,,, I like the way you say """"" I have my own strange 'style' which makes me and a select few other laugh when they get the joke. """ as thats a way I would do it ,,, if I did it ... cause """ I have my own strange 'style' """ I have been told this a lot ,, and the clear label I like

I've got many of them posted under the "Post your Labels Here" thread :)
Many more under the works, as always.
:b

Is there a specific type of spray adhesive recommended? My concern is primarily with getting the label off easily afterwards!

Staples has the Avery arch labels right now 90 for $10.99 with rebate and they will laser print them in color for 60 cents per page (9 per page). I'm going to try that out. These should look pretty good and I can customize them with any graphics and text for a total cost of under 19 cents per label.

steve

This went pretty well and I'm probably going to stick with it for now. I used the avery software to create a pdf with the background photo on the labels that I wanted and my text. The staples web site doesn't even mention printing these for 60 cents per page, but that's all they charged.

Is there a specific type of spray adhesive recommended? My concern is primarily with getting the label off easily afterwards!

I use Loctite brand..........only because that is what Wal-Mart sells by me. Let them soak in some oxy for a bit and they come off pretty easy.

I don't have any direct experience, but some on here (including JS Wordy, I think) use milk. Yes, milk, as in stuff from a cow, "moo juice," Vitamin D, etc. Wet the back of the label with it and let it dry onto the bottle.

why use glue

use milk instead.
trust me it sticks and then makes resuing the bottle later on much easier to remove the label.

I don't have any direct experience, but some on here (including JS Wordy, I think) use milk. Yes, milk, as in stuff from a cow, "moo juice," Vitamin D, etc. Wet the back of the label with it and let it dry onto the bottle.

I tried the milk thing and the label just "curled" off as it dried. Maybe I need to use 3.25% :) I found a great recipe online using corn starch to make a glue. Works really well, but I do not know yet if it will come off easily. I think I will play around with recipes tonight...

Latest posts

Back