WineXpert When can you taste test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Vino

Reaction score
Good day all, I'm on my first kit, Vintners Reserve Merlot. Right now I'm about day 7 into the secondary..... I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum ( you guys and gals rock by the way) and have a newbie question.

When can I taste test this puppy. I keep checking on it everynight and keep thinking how good this will be.

Can I taste test now orshould Iwait unit I've degassed and stablised its its sat to clear for a while.

You can take a test taste (Say that really fast when testing!) any time you like. But remember a couple of things.
1. Don't test taste too often. You'll have to keep adding more to top it up.
2. What you taste early on can really differ from what you'll get after a month or 2 in the bottle. (At least with a reserve kit.)
3. Once you take a test taste you'll want to start on that next kit right away!
smiley36.gif

There's nothing wrong with tasting it at any stage. Don't expect it to be like a finished product at this point, but it will give you an idea of it's potential. I like to check it's progress while racking, because it's easy to sneak a little into a glass from the tube while racking. If you get a wine thief, you can draw a sample from the carboy for testing purposes any time you want. Once you have topped the carboy, if you take a sample, refill the carboy after.

I taste my wines from every stage of the process and would recommend it for everyone. Your tastings may go like
smiley17.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley3.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley35.gif
smiley17.gif
buttake notes on how it tasted, the nose, mouthfeel, etc. It is invaluable information and can actually help you in the future detect potential problems with a wine. Doesn't have to be a glass full now, I normally just draw a little out of my fermenter or carboy with my wine thief. Oh, you don't have a wine thief, well George can remedy that
http://www.finevinewines.com/Product_Match.asp

smiley2.gif
My opinion after doing a dozen kits is to taste your wine at each
stage. If it does nothing else, it will teach you the elusive science of
wine tasting. It will also help you make any adjustments in your wine
kit. And please, don't do what I did, keep good records of everything
you do, even writing down how your wine tastes at different levels of
wine making. Good luck?

I recommend you taste-test this batch as soon as you can get over to it and take the bung out of the carboy...and insert a clean sanitized wine thief or [new turkey baster] that you save for this hobby...enjoy and notice the changes as time passes...
smiley17.gif

I'm with Anqell Wine,
Send me some and I will let you know how it is. I am sure it is wonderful

All excellent advice. My 2 cents to test at each phase. As was previously pointed out, this process will train your pallette so you can better judge wines.

Wow, Great! Thanks to all who replied. I will go with all of the above and test at each phase.
I was ready for step3, stab and clear, this weekend and got a taste out of the carboy before I started adding the packages. I think it has a good potential. I can't wait for a couple of months to roll by, I think it iwll be very tasty.

Now what to get started next...... I'm hooked!

vino one last reply...

I too am on my first kit with a cellar classic zin. accidentally
I tasted when I racked from the primary to the carboy. Because I
don't have an auto syphon, so you know the rest there.....anywayand I
hope it gets better.------
smiley11.gif

But at least I know now what it's like coming from the primary and good idea in taking the tasting notes.

Back