Quantcast

When after crushing grapes, does all the stems of the wine have to come out for it to

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

vittorio1970

Junior
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me with this question. My dad is old school and says some of the stems can be in the fermentation. Some people say no they all have to come out.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
try to get the majority of the stems - but dont spend all day on it

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it depends. You will get tannin from the stems. If you have a big, high brix red, no big deal. A delicate Pinot Noir or Grenache, I’d be more concerned.

Last edited:

JohnT

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I try and remove as much of the stems (and leaves for that matter) as is possible.

LoveTheWine

Reaction score
If you have mature grapes and want to impart lots of tannin it is generally acceptable to leave in 5-10% of the stems. If the grapes are a little on the unripe side (very green stems) or you want a more delicate wine I would remove all possible stems. A lot has to do with how tannic the wine is to start with... example I grow and make wine from Foch grapes. These have very little tannin in the grapes or seeds so 10% of the stems actually helps my wine.

vittorio1970

Junior
Reaction score
I mixed 5 different mixes last year. Merlot, cab, petit Sarah, Grenache and Alicante. I didn’t open it yet but when I went to taste it it was a little vinegary. Just wanted to taste. So I waited until father day. Still a lily Le vinegary but not much. Now it’s been locked for a year and this has never happened before. All the wines came out great. Help I have 99.5 gallons of it.