What''s your wine making bible?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJEFF

Reaction score
What is, in your opinion, the best reference (book or website) for wine making?

Ya beat me to it, Jon. Definitely here at winemakingtalk.com (no link, because you're already here).

Jack Keller's site is good, just remember to double (at least) the fruit and add sugar by measuring SG.

The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry A. Garey.

I also have a book called Mary's Recipes by Jerry Uthemann that i use from time to time. I found it on Ebay, but LD Carlson sells it, as well.
Description - If you want to make wine out of anything then this is the recipe book for you! From Watermelon Wine all the way to Onion Wine. This Book has it all! Including pages full of tips to help you along your way.

And First Steps in Winemaking by C.J.J. Berry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I have been compiling several articles over the years for my own bible. Now If I Can Just Get It Organized.

I'm currently reformating a free download book called "The Home Wine Makers Manual" by Lum Eisenem

It is old but the facts and chemistry doesn't change. Another is Modern Wine Making by Philip Jackisch. It's probably available at your library. Both are wonderful and informative.

There is a big list of the fine folks here that offer great assistance to us neewbies.
And for one, I'm thankful to them all.

For reference, I would have to say, the "Wine Maker's Answer Book" by Crowe.

For reference, I would have to say, the "Wine Maker's Answer Book" by Crowe.

Yes, I have that book

BUTT! :slp

Best place is right here. It's quicker than trying to find the right answer on the net.
We have a great variety of winemakers here so we have a great resource here. We all "been there done that"

I really value Daniel Pambianchi's: Techniques in home winemaking.

Then I also like Iversons: Home winemaking.

These books focus on grape winemaking however general techniques apply also to fruit wine making.

The best 2 books I have are a german book: the Kitzinger Weinbuch
And a Belgium book: Wijnboek bij Marc the Brouwer.

I just counted, I have 50 books on winemaking !!!!

I do have to admid that several of these mbooks are not commercial available. I have printed out several websites in a special layout-form and made my own books from that. I am a semi-professional hand-book-binder also.

I probably am the only person on this world that has a leather bound book made out of Jack Kellers website.

Luc

I probably am the only person on this world that has a leather bound book made out of Jack Kellers website.

Luc

Now that sounds like me. I prefer a hard copy to refer to at a moments notice. Plus haveing 50 wine making books, this is why when we can't figure something out, we go to the Jedi Master.

of course i come here first, but i have cruised other sites. so far, my two favorite books have been from vine to wine and the healthy grape.

Then I also like Iversons: Home winemaking.
That's a good one, and, for me, a close second to the "Wine Makers Answer Book". Neither one ever makes it to a book shelf.

I have the first two books mentioned by Luc and also had stored so much info that I had backed up on 2 other comps and then had that nasty virus that wiped out all three in about 3 days. People, back up your back ups. I wish now that I had printed it all out as some of you have and have stated do just that. So much good info lost!!!!!!! :(

I have to say that this site is a God-send when it comes to wine making problems/questions and concerns...not to mention just seeing what everyone has to say and has done.

But before I found this site (a week ago) The first book that I read that seemed to explain things really well was a book that was already mentioned.
The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry A. Garey.

She just seems to break everything down well enough to understand. Her methods aren't complicated like some can be so for starting out I really enjoyed this book. It mainly deals with fruit wines though so if you are wanting to start with grape wines you may want a different one. (though she does have a couple of grape wine recipes)

neither one ever makes it to a book shelf.

exactly. How can i put something away when i'm always referring to it. Daily. It just gets moved from kitchen table to living room couch to the bed and back again.

Latest posts

Back