WineXpert Whats your Favorite Wine Drink Kit (.i.e. Island Mist, Ocean Breezing, etc drink kit)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I've made one Island Mist kit, the Pomagranate Zinfandel, and it was a decent alcoholic drink. My daughter, age 25, and friends seem to like it. I've seen a lot written about the Apple Riesling, so I plan to try that one. What other similar kits do you like/dislike and what tweeks did you make?

For the pom/zin, I made as directed, but would plan to raise Starting SG from 1.050 to 1.080 next time.

I also have a Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood clearing. If these are as good as everyone says, I'll probably make some more of those for the summer too.

What have you liked?

The Island Mist Green Apple Riesling is certainly a hit with my friends and family. If they only knew how cheap it is! I do bump the ABV up a bit, as you are planning, by adding some extra sugar to the primary. My wife likes it with the full f-pack at the end.

I did the pear/kiwi and the black raspberry and both were good. I wished I had bumped up the sugar now. I too am considering the green apple. So I am interested in other replies. Am also thinking about the Peach/Apricot.

I've done the WE Blackberry Cab, WE Blackraspberry Merlot, WE Green Apple Reisling and a WE Cranberry Merlot,,,all were good. I also added extra sugar in the begining to up the sg.

I ran a store from 2001 to 2007. The Niagara Mist Pink Grapefruit Blush was the best selling Mist/cooler kit year after year. It was in the top 5 selling kits some months, and regularly brought in new customers. It was also a fave in our house.

Due to medication, my wife and I can no longer have anything grapefruit. Our new favourite is Niagara Mist Sangria Blush.

In the reds, the Orchard Breezin' Blackberry Merlot was our fave and the top selling red mist in the store. It also makes a great wine jelly.

Pick a fruit flavour that you like, and if there is a matching kit, give it a try.

Steve

I have stuck to island mist kits, as I like sweet wines. I have made the black raspberry merlot, strawberry, mixed fruits zif and currently working on the Apple Riesling, and sangria zif blush. My favorite is the black raspberry. but I have heard great things about this Apple kit. But, I am going to try it by the book then bump it. Have to have a baseline to compare to I think.

You guys probably know you're referring to chaptalization. I've looked into it before (to learn) but never tried it because I've been satisfied with the level of alcohol I've been getting.. I'll be making the Green Apple Riesling myself in the spring. What type of sugar did you use and about how much for a single kit? (Probably cane, just plain granular?) I believe alcohol content per instructions is 7.34. What did your alcohol level reach?

Last edited:
I have made a few. But the most popular I have made is the Niagara Mist Black Cherry Pinot Noir. I have never tasted it - made it for wife and daughter and their friends - I find "mist" kits too sweet for my liking.

The most popular ones I have made are the Green Apple Gewurtztraminer (Orchard Breezin) or Green Apple Riesling (Island Mist) and the Acai Raspberry Cab Sauv (Orchard Breezin).

I added enough cane sugar to bring it up to 1.085 and then the full flavor pack at the end.

So far I've tried IM White cranberry, IM Black Raspberry, IM Kiwi/Pear and IM Mango/citrus, all with 3 to 4 pounds of sugar added to primary. Of these I liked the White Cranberry and Black Raspberry the best. At least that is they suited my taste the best.

Dave

I have made a few. But the most popular I have made is the Niagara Mist Black Cherry Pinot Noir. I have never tasted it - made it for wife and daughter and their friends - I find "mist" kits too sweet for my liking.

How can you make a wine and never taste it ;-}

Have done a few of these kits. Very popular with the wife and younger adults. I haven't bumped up the alcohol, but I do have a kit waiting and try a bit of additional sugar to see the effect. White cranberry was very popular as well as the green apple riesling, and pom zin.

I've made the Island Mist Green apple Riesling,Exotic fruit Zinfandel, RJS's Blackberry Merlot mist.Raspberry white Zinfandel and Peach Chardonnay . I never changed anything with the kits. They were all a little too sweet for my taste ,but when our kids come to visit they all love them

I have a Island Mist Strawberry Merlot that i will be starting this week plan on adding some sugar to the primary fermenter anyone made this kit ?

We're in the middle of the Strawberry Merlot right now. We bumped the ABV up to 1.080 :)

Added 4 cups of sugar :) It's for the Ladies Wine Co-op, so I didn't want to get fancy ;)

Also, I've found that once you've added all the water etc and check the OG, often it is lower than recommended in the instructions anyway - so you have to add sugar!

We made the Strawberry White Merlot about 3 months ago. We love it! It was only our 2nd attempt at home wine making so I don't have anything to compare it to. We made it per the instructions. I wish I had known about the trick of adding extra sugar up front to boost the ABV. It has only aged about 2 months now but I've been surprised how much better it has gotten in the last month. We will definitely make it again but I think the next one we will do is the white cranberry.

Latest posts

Back