Other What's your favorite Cab Sauvigon kit??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmrubin

Junior
Reaction score
Hi..making wine for my husband and his favorite wine is Corison Cabernet Sauvignon. What would be the best wine making kit to find something similar? Also..what are your favorite Cab Sauvignon kits? thanks!

Since that is a ~$100 bottle of wine I would suggest one of the high end or "ultra premium" cabernet sauvignon kits that come with grape skins. Perhaps one of the WineExpert Eclipse or Cellar Craft Showcase. Cellar Craft has a Sonoma Valley Cab that should produce a very good bottle of wine but certainly not in the $100 range comparison. Perhaps $15 is more realistic. You would have to age it in a small 23L barrel for 6 months to go up into the $20 range IMHO.

Hi..making wine for my husband and his favorite wine is Corison Cabernet Sauvignon. What would be the best wine making kit to find something similar? Also..what are your favorite Cab Sauvignon kits? thanks!

I've never tasted the Corison Cab, so commenting on that would be out of turn.
As far as my favorite Cabernet Sauvignon kit wine, my vote would be cast for the Wine Expert Eclipse Lodi Ranch II kit. I've made two of these and find them quite nice. These kits come with an added grape pack and produce a fuller bodied, more tannic wine than their non grape pack counterparts, so be prepared for some substantial aging time. Once it is finished fermenting, for me, it's usually around a year before I bottle it, another few months before starting to sample.

Perhaps pre-order a Master Vintner Limited Edition 2016: La Vie Cabernet Sauvignon. It won't be close to a 2013 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon BUT the love and personal touch you give it will make it priceless!

I made an RJS Cellar Craft Cab Sauv a few years back. I still have a dozen bottles, and it holds its own against mid-priced Napa Valley offerings.

As others have said, I have never tried Corison Cabernet Sauvignon, so I cannot offer advice on recommending a kit to produce a similar wine. I would however, recommend a high-end kit complete with oak and grape skins.

I will second the Winexpert Lodi Ranch Eclipse kit, and for me it needed 2 years before it really shined. It produces a really nice full-bodied wine however, a $100 bottle of wine it was not...

Thanks everyone! Would you mind telling me what you favorite Red Wine Kit has been?

So far, the WE Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot has been the house favorite. But, I made a Selection Amarone this year, and that has tremendous potential to be my new favorite.

I have the Eclipse Lodi Zin and Cab aging, long with 6 or 7 other reds kits. So, I can't say yet how this story will go. It's a good problem to have, though. :db

Back