What's worse?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkstel

Junior
Reaction score
I have had a noiret fermenting for 4 months or so and record keeping is not my strong suit. After fermentation was almost finished, I added malolactic bacteria to start malolactic fermentation. That went well, but I didn't write down whether or not I added any sorbate after the MLF was completed. What is worse, a wine that hasn't been stabilized with sorbate or a wine that has twice the amount of sorbate added?

You should not be using sorbate on a wine that went through MLF. Basically you only need to uise sorbate when you will be sweetening a wine.

Wade is right..

If you have a geranium taste in your wine after MLF and addition of sorbate, it's not fixable.

have you tasted it?

Allie

If you add Sorbate to a wine that went thru MLF you will get a geranium flower taste. It will ruin the wine.
How does it taste?

Thanks for the quick responses. The wine has no geranium flavor and tastes fine. I guess that means I didn't add sorbate. It appears that I lucked out. Thanks for the help.

if you don't mlf would you then add sorbate, what does the mlf do that the wine no longer needs sorbate

Latest posts

Back