Whats the oldest bottle in your rack ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
This is something new to talk about. We talk in here all the time about patience, and I am curious to hear from some of the "senior" (no offence brother TOM, LOL) makers in here on some of the older bottles of wine you have.

And while were on the topic, are there any special considerations to store a bottle of wine for an "extended" period of time. Rotation, light, temperature, etc. ?

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend, I was going to go out and do a little bit of gold mining but my buddy blew his engine, so I am hanging out at the cabin thinking of wine and something to talk about regarding it.
Troy
:b

I have two bottes that are mine and 5 1/2 years old. As far as storage goes, 55* with about 75% humidity is best but stable temps are the most important and no sunlight or vibrations.

I have a bottle of a rice wine I made when I was 15 years old. I havent tried to drink it for ages, it smells like moonshine! :dOk I will tell, that puts it at 35 years old. It may not even be a wine any more??:r

I've got a few bottles that are getting close to 5 years old now.

Steve, if you drink it you may be pickled? LOL
Or you may have a treasure.:D
Troy

Don't look at it !!

Coll, make another batch, if you look it at the temptation may to great! LOL:D

Remember, us as winemakers try to instill patience.:b

When I show up there next winter (mine) I expect you and G will have something to show me. Please don't drink it all.

Troy
:b

Last edited:
Wade, I don't live next to the railroad tracks, but, we did have a 3.7 earthquake here a couple days ago centered three miles from my home, does that count as vibration? LOL
No kidding. Pretty scary considering the largest one ever recorded in North America was right here in Alaska in 1964, even bigger than the one we read about for San Fran.
Guess i will have to send you all my stuff.:D
troy

Oh I have lots of wine on the go...Ive bottled about 60 so far and have another 80 or so at different stages of production .not quite at Allie's level but working on it!

When did you say you are visiting New Zealand?

Coll, I am no fool I was gonna wait till around Christmas when its -50F here. As long as my cats are safe and warm I will join the "snowbirds" and get the hell out of here. I would have equally have enjoyed Europe and visit LUC but it'll be cold there too! So you ladies have won. I will be seeing you around then, I have no idea what you will do with me but I really want to visit your beauiful country. My Mom is coming to Alaska next month for the first time. I have lived here almost 30 yrs. After I realize what a true tour guide means, I guess I will know whether or not you all treat me right. I of cource need to report back to the gang here on the forum.
LOL
Troy
:D

Unfortunately Ill be in the Uk for Christmas for 6 weeks sorry Troy.

You must visit Rotorua and the South Island when you are here, in fact if you hook up with the Kiwi Experience team they will show you around for sure, theyre really good at what they do and you get to see the real New Zeland not the plastic tikis and mudpools tour the other ones do! Lots of booze related things too like a visit to the speights brewery and vineyards galore!

Hope you enjoy your visit.

I have a few bottles of mead left that I made just over 10 years ago.

despite having a lot of sediment in the bottles, the mead still tastes good the last time I pop'd one open.

I have 2 "splits" of Ice Wine from 1998 and 1 bottle dated 1999.It's real hard not to have wife and daughter find them. Even under threats they still will...... :re

I got some 5-7yr olds in controlled storage, but for the most part I consume or distribute mine from 6mo to 1yr.

My wife and I enjoy a bottle regularly... :)

I got some 5-7yr olds in controlled storage, but for the most part I consume or distribute mine from 6mo to 1yr.

My wife and I enjoy a bottle regularly.

CGI,
What do you call controlled storage
and
How regularly

I had a couple bottles made in 76 and 78 that I opened last year. I had to dump them both. Boy, were they nasty!

Back