whats the lowest you SG has gotten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
I was wondering because right now I would have to guess and say it is .988 my hydrometer only reads to .990 and it is below that. It’s been in the secondary for about a week, and there is a ton of sediment, at least 20% More than when I first racked it. IT does seem to be slowing. But from here on I can't measure it very accurately.

How Low Can You Go

Kinda wondering the same thing Con. I may be mistaken, but I would go ahead and rack it once more, off the sediment of course, and if you can get it all into a container by itself and forget about it for a few more weeks, airlock of course. I speak 4 languages but this wine thing is beyond me....so far. It seems to me, if water at 60F is an SG of 1.00, it is what it is, for it to get below that is something I have been wondering myself. I hope someone in here more experienced can answer that.
Take Care
Troy

I was thinking about something else I learned Con, they say to spin the hydrometer to displace any bubbles, but I have noticed some strange discrepancies myself on my hydrometer, and it wasn't a cheap one. Makes me think back in the "day" when my ole man was making wine. It was Grape Juice, Sugar, and Yeast, and a couple ticks on the calander, he never used a hydrometer, probably had no idea what it was, and he was a submariner!! I'd like to start a post myself discussing discrepencies of hydrometers.
Troy

What was the starting SG? The only explanation I can think of is that you've got some seriously high alcohol going on... alcohol has a lower specific gravity than water, so as the alcohol content goes up, the SG goes down. I've never had anything much lower than about .995 or .994.

To get an accurate hydrometer reading the temp. must be at 60F. I've never had a reading below .994.

Made it down to .990 on 1 of mine when I relly didnt want it to and have heard a few go lower like what you speak of. You had a very healthy yeast there my friend!

Very Healthy and Very Happy. It is still going I would guess it is at .986 now. I am going to place it in a cold Place to try and get them to be not so healthy and happy Because the amount of sediment is just huge look at this its the one on the left:
noname.jpg

this is easily 20% more than when we racked it a week ago.

Vineco wine kits regularly reach .992. Some drop to .990. Sugar/water/Turbo Yeast mix goes lower for me, but I'm not sure how much lower.

Steve

Latest posts

Back