Whats the lowest initial SG...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omerta

Reaction score
... you've started a bucket at? A new fresh juice bucket.

Just started a bucket at 1.030... should I be overly concerned?

This is Fresh juice? If so what is it. Also I'm guessing that fermentation started. Where did you get it and what is it.

This was an Italian right from Corrado's. You cant keep it cold enough to totally stop fermentation. Like I said above fermentation has been going very slowly under refrigeration.

Its a Cab-Sauv from Corrado's. My first bucket was at a 1.094. I guess this one started a cold fermentation. Is this batch going to be a pain in the *** to clear?

No, it will be fine. Just do everything from here on in normally. I woiulod sulfite it as soon as its done fermenting though unless you are going to do the MLF.

Yep it soould be fine. Wait till April/May for the Chilean come in. Hmmm.

Thanks guys figured as much. Its a cold ferment so thats a plus. I'll definitely be heading down to Gino Pino's. Tom, is there an advanced order for their juice?

Yea I would. Sometimes they sell out BEFORE it get there. This way at least you will get it. Keep an eye on their web page as to what, when and $ .

Oh yeah, this one is getting put through an MLF
Remember to add when you rack to secondary and NO k-meta. After MLF do NOT add Sorbate. When do you plan on adding Oak?

I have American Oak chips in both.
Should I add the MLF after I rack into my first carboy?
Will there be enough nutrients to support ML bacteria? I was under the impression that I should add the ML in the primary at the end of AF. White Labs says to add it at 5 Brix.

Last edited:
My other bucket for this year was a 1.094. Is it safe to say that's usable as the initial SG?

I have American Oak chips in both.
Should I add the MLF after I rack into my first carboy?
Will there be enough nutrients to support ML bacteria? I was under the impression that I should add the ML in the primary at the end of AF.
Yes. I like to get it off the gross lees before I add the MLF. If you feel you need more nutrients ..add it. make sure the temps are warm not cellar temps.
I would rack soon.. like 1.010

My other bucket for this year was a 1.094. Is it safe to say that's usable as the initial SG?
Yes. The most you will be off is less than 1/2%. I dont label my wines with ABV. Just a "born on" date (month/yr)

Tom you're a great help. Thanks for the info. I'll check the must tomorrow. I added energizer, nutrients and the Pasteur Red. The air lock started to dance an hour later. Smell just as delicious as my RC212 batch.

I'm thinking Chilean Pinot Noir, Malbec and the Cab/Merlot when GP gets it.

MY suggestions is Carmenere, Malbec, Cab/Merlot (its a 60/40 blend) then Red Zin. That's my top 4

Latest posts

Back