Whats the lowest initial SG...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. What would be your top 2? I don't have enough equipment to do four.
Also, after I rack the off the lees... should I top up the carboy then add the ML?
What sucks is this must has only been on the oak for a few hours at this point. Being that my starting point was 1030 it doesn't seem like I'll be oaking for long. A day or two till I'm at 1010?

Last edited:
Top 2
Carmenere and toss up between Cab/Merlot and Malbec
I added oak during my MLF and did not top off till after MLF and degassing/sulfited.

Thanks.
Is it possible to clean the oak that's in the primary and drop it in the secondary? Or should I just add fresh oak?

No I would not. Now since you added Oak in the primary I question how much oak will get in the wine since you will only have it in for days.
Is the Amer.. oak toasted? Do you like a wine thats heavy oaked. All this depends on YOUR "taste"
If its not toasted I would add oak maybe for 6 weeks (a cup?). How much did you add already?

Back in September a bought a Regina white zin pail that arrived at 1.030. I was really bummed. It has cleared up nicely and tastes good.

You can call Geno's and place an order. They will send you a post card. 609-561-9385.

See Ya There,

Latest posts

Back