Whats the Legality.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvolf34

Reaction score
My Skeeter Pee has been a big success. I now have people asking me to make them some. They will buy the supplies and I will ferment it. They will help bottle it. I will not take $0.01 for doing any of this. I know in my state I am allowed to brew up to 200 gallons a year. I was just wondering if it is legal to make a brew for someone else?

As long as you are not charging them and they are of age I dont see any problem. Imsure you will have to include this in your 200 galln limit and Im pretty sure that you have to have someone beside you living under that household that is of drinking age to be able to make 200 gallons otherwise its 100 gallons per household.

Cool Jason! The Pee is good! I don't recall anyone who has made it or tasted it be dissappointed. I have a batch on the batters deck right now. Its easy, tasty, somewhat versitle and inexpensive. Glad you are enjoying your successes with it and that your friends do as well.

Thats whats its all about!!

Keep on keepin on

Troy

Here in Alberta I was told at my local supplier as long as the person who will receive the wine puts the yeast in it is fine. Probably different everywhere you go.

I can't imagine anyone really policing such a thing. Just ensure it's no more than a gift to good friends and it should be fine.

Has anyone ever heard of somebody getting busted for the 200 gallon rule? Just curious.

bruno probably only if you have people coming out going would you draw any attention to yourself .Cuase then you're probably not brewing just for yourself .

Has anyone ever heard of somebody getting busted for the 200 gallon rule? Just curious.

I have heard of someone getting busted. They got busted for selling what they made. Then they found out he made more than 200 gallons.
There is no law that says a "donation" to further testing is illegal

I'm curious - is the 200 gal limit a yearly limit for making wine/beer or does it also apply to possession ( ie, 200 gal last year, 200 gal this year, etc.)?
I'm don't know if there are limits in Nova Scotia or Canada - anyone know? Not that I'll ever have that much!!
.. Doug

I'm curious - is the 200 gal limit a yearly limit for making wine/beer or does it also apply to possession ( ie, 200 gal last year, 200 gal this year, etc.)?
I'm don't know if there are limits in Nova Scotia or Canada - anyone know? Not that I'll ever have that much!!
.. Doug

That's a good question.

That's a good question.

Sec. 24.75 Wine for personal or family use.

(a) General. Any adult may, without payment of tax, produce wine for

personal or family use and not for sale.

(b) Quantity. The aggregate amount of wine that may be produced

exempt from tax with respect to any household may not exceed:

(1) 200 gallons per calendar year for a household in which two or

more adults reside, or

(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult

residing in the household.
from http://www.legalalcohol.com/?p=38

It says "produced", so I think that mean production, not on-hand quantity.

Yes its whats PRODUCED. Now you can bottle more than 200 gallons if produced in 2 different years.
But, unless you sell it there is no way anyone can judge that you made more than 200 gallons. These laws are only for the States. Each country have their own rules.

someone may have written this and i missed it...my understanding is that it is a limit of 100 gallons for an individual and 200 for a family

I found a reference for these controls for only 2 Canadian provinces - Alberta has a limit of 460 liters wine/cider/beer and Manitoba a limit of 227 liters beer & 227 liters of wine. Must be something to do with their long winters!!
Thanks for the responses.

Man. yall have to many rules. 200 galons is less than a carboy per week!! I live in Alaska where noone cares about these kind of rules. If you start selling it, the rules change, but up here noone really gives a squirrels butt how much you make.

Man. yall have to many rules. 200 galons is less than a carboy per week!! I live in Alaska where noone cares about these kind of rules. If you start selling it, the rules change, but up here noone really gives a squirrels butt how much you make.

Must be that arctic air or the long nights - I was reading somewhere that the Yukon has more consumption per capita in beer, wine and liquor than anywhere else in Canada.

Thanks for all the replies. I have another adult of drinking age in my home. So I am good to make the 200 gal limit. I would not charge anyone to make it. Actually they will buy all the supplies. I didn't think there would be a problem.

Ok - I have a question related to this topic.

If I am making a kit for someone and not accepting any fee ($) can I legally accept a bottle or two of the finished product? What if he/she purchases an extra carboy that I end up keeping?

I would say your ok, as long as it is a gift and not a payment for making the wine....

Latest posts

Back