What's the best spray sanitizer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richpart

Junior
Reaction score
I'm looking for the ideal winery spray sanitizer. It would be used to sanitize surfaces in my wine making area, and hopefully deter (or mercilessly slaughter) fruit flies. I've googled this a lot and found mixed reviews and information between three groups.

One is SO2, sulfur dioxide, another is Proxy Clean, Proxy Carb, (it goes by many names) where the active ingredient is usually H2O2, hydrogen peroxide, and finally Star San, a combination of phosphoric and another long-named acid.

It seems the more web pages I visit, the more conflicting information I find. Which chemical kills what? Do any kill fruit flies? Which kills the quickest? Which is better for hard/soft surfaces? How long does the mixture last before losing effectiveness? It seems like someone should know these answers.

I was starting to think about combining a little of all three in my spray bottle. I'm not a chemist, but I do know how weird combinations of good things can make something really bad, so that doesn't sound like a good idea. Or, is it?

Anyone have knowledgeable answers? Strong opinions? Maybe an accurate web site that explains the pros and cons, preferably in english?

Thank you all, in advance.

DO not combine them. It is a bad idea to combine strong oxidants with other things without knowing about them. Mixing peroxide with sulfite will oxidize the sulfite to sulfate and it will no longer work.

I don't know if any of them will necessarily deter or kill fruit flies. If you are simply worried about the countertops, etc - keep the clean and dry.

I have always used 3 grams of Kmeta and 11 grams of tartaric acid dissolved in gallon of water for sanitizing. this will not kill fruit flies. Best bet for flies is get a jar with metal top. make holes with nail in top. place some wine or must into jar. flies will go into jar through holes but cannot get out. empty bottle every other day and bait with new wine.

I used star San for everything. I put it in q 2 1/2 gal igloo cooler with a spigot on it. I keep it on a shelf above the sink in my wine room. Once mixed it has long enough shelf life. I fill a spray bottle with it. You can also rinse things off under the spigot, i.e. putting some in a carboy or running it through lengths of tubing before racking.

As for the fruit fly situation. You will never totally eliminate them. The only thing I would suggest is be very clean. I mean wipe up the little drops of must that drip onto counters or down the sides of fermenters. For cleaning counters and outside fermenters I mix a tbls of oxyclean in a quart of warm water then put it in a spray bottle.

RR

Fruit Fly Trap

Take a Pint canning jar add about 1/2 inch of wine, then put in a drop or two of dish soap making sure not to get any on the sides of jar. Works well for me.

Back