whats next?? Secondary Fermentation campden tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rino

Junior
Reaction score
Hey, need some advice

im done with primary.. went natural and didnt use any yeast

I currently have 2 5 gallon carboys and 2 54L demijohns with air locks filled with
sangiovese grapes

they are currently in second stage.. the 5 gallon carboy dont seem to be bubbling anymore seem to look flat.. took a reading and they are 0 BRIX 0 ALC .996 SPGR . I swapped them out today after they have been sitting for about 7 day ...

I believe i was suppose to place a Campden Tablets in them is it to late?

Also do I have them sit corked with no airlock now? And i have them about 90% filled.. should i fill them all the way up??

I didnt have time to swap the demijohns, or take a reading, but they seem to still be bubbling once a minute unlike the 5 gallon carboys

THANK YOU!

You can still add campden if you want, its to kill any yeast that may still be alive. if your not back sweetening then theres no need to add it, just one less chemical is your wine.
I dont have luck with corking carboys they seem to pop corks out with co2 still escaping in small amount, you will have to degass to use cork i would leave air locks on.
I try to keep my carboys as full as possible when aging.

Add Campden because it will make a difference in longevity of the wine

I am a bit confused by some things:

I currently have 2 5 gallon carboys and 2 54L demijohns with air locks filled with
sangiovese grapes

Do you really mean "grapes"? Usually, one ferments on the skins in the bucket, then transfer only the juice/wine into the carboys or demijohns.

they are currently in second stage.. the 5 gallon carboy dont seem to be bubbling anymore seem to look flat.. took a reading and they are 0 BRIX 0 ALC .996 SPGR . I swapped them out today after they have been sitting for about 7 day ...

What exactly do you mean when you say that you "swapped them out"?

I believe i was suppose to place a Campden Tablets in them is it to late?

No, it is not too late. The purpose of Campden tablets (i.e., potassium metabisulfite) is two-fold. It keeps the wine safe from spoilage from bacteria and other microbes, and it keeps the wine from getting oxidized. Crooked Cork is not correct -- it will not kill wine yeast, but it will kill or control other microbes.

Also do I have them sit corked with no airlock now? And i have them about 90% filled.. should i fill them all the way up??

I didnt have time to swap the demijohns, or take a reading, but they seem to still be bubbling once a minute unlike the 5 gallon carboys

You should top the carboys up to minimize the amount of headspace, that is, to minimize the oxygen exposure. At this point, you should have them under airlock to allow the wine to degas naturally.

Note that, even if the wines are identical and are offgassing CO2 identically, a larger volume container will bubble more frequently than a smaller container.

Latest posts

Back