What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another round of "one of these things is not like the other" Took wine dot com up on their 33% off coupon. All will lay down for a long (multi) Winters nap now.......

View attachment 71500

Good find! A couple of those wineries are in my back yard but they don't give deals like that. If I walk into Mark Ryan I will pay $40 for the Dissident (non-club price). Wine.com is advertising it for $37. And you got 33% off? You paid $25? Club members don't even get that discount. How do you get that coupon?

I understand economics. I lived in Alaska where oil is drilled, refined and exported. But we paid more for a gallon of fuel than most in the lower 48. Like I said, good find.

Yea I thought so as well. I order from them every now and then. Had not ordered in awhile and they sent me a coupon for $100 off a $300 order to be exact. I have verticals going on all those wines and that price was cheaper than my usual source (Full Pull). They had the latest vintage of the Dissident (which is one of my favs) for $37 before discount.

Good find! A couple of those wineries are in my back yard but they don't give deals like that. If I walk into Mark Ryan I will pay $40 for the Dissident (non-club price). Wine.com is advertising it for $37. And you got 33% off? You paid $25? Club members don't even get that discount. How do you get that coupon?

I understand economics. I lived in Alaska where oil is drilled, refined and exported. But we paid more for a gallon of fuel than most in the lower 48. Like I said, good find.

Took my bottle to San Antonio last week and had it one night with some burgers from the grill. Good QPR. Finish was a little short but for $7 who cares. It's one of those wines that will have you scratching your head about making a high end kit vs something like this right off the shelf. I think the Costco Wine Blog review was pretty spot on.

Anxious to hear your thoughts on the Malbec. I thought is was a PDG PQR.

The first of 3 cases due for the cellar has arrived – Chateau Francs Magnus Bordeaux Superieur 2018 (Appellation: Bordeaux), Tempus Two Copper Shiraz 2013 (South Australia) and Chateau Saint Sulpice Rouge 2018 (Appellation: Bordeaux). I would like to think I can keep my hands off the Magnus for a few years.

I also learned that, "in order to protect consumers," the Tennessee Legislature in its infinite wisdom has made it so that I can only purchase one case per calendar month from any one online supplier, and a maximum of three cases per year from any one supplier. It's more about their alcohol excise tax revenue than protecting me from myself, I am sure. No worries: I have expanded my supplier list. :)

IMG_2168.jpg

I also learned that, "in order to protect consumers," the Tennessee Legislature in its infinite wisdom has made it so that I can only purchase one case per calendar month from any one online supplier, and a maximum of three cases per year from any one supplier. It's more about their alcohol excise tax revenue than protecting me from myself, I am sure. No worries: I have expanded my supplier list. :)

Wouldn't they potentially collect more tax if they allowed you to buy more from your favorite supplier?🤔

Wouldn't they potentially collect more tax if they allowed you to buy more from your favorite supplier?🤔

No, because online they only collect the sales tax, NOT the hidden $1.20 per-liter state excise tax they also collect when a bottle is sold in-state. So, to recap, if I buy a liter in-state for $30, $1.20 excise tax has already been added to that price. Then I turn around and pay sales tax (highest in the nation at 9.55%) on that $30. A buck twenty per liter is a LOT of cash for the state, plus the sales tax being paid on the excise tax charged to the winery.

You know, Tennessee is totally run by the "no big government, get the government off our backs" types, buuuutttt ... when the rubber actually meets the road .... :D

Check out these beauties below.

Pardon the long story: Just about a year ago, our own @crushday and I had a friendly exchange wherein I expressed admiration (read: jealousy! :) ) for his quaff of Caymus-Suisun Grand Durif. IIRC, I begged him (in jest) to "cut me a slice" of that wine! I will elide the details, but George was so kind as to offer, nay, to insist, on acceding to my joking request. He very generously arranged for me to get a few of those bottles courtesy of him. Unfortunately, (I don't know if any of you have noticed), but there has been a bit of pandemic bouncing around since then. :) Until recently, I wasn't able to consummate the deal. Now that I am vaxxed and Covid cases here are way down, I was able to acquire these bold beauties: (Thank you so much, @crushday . You are too kind!)

IMG_1729.JPG

Latest posts

Back