What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, those are commercial as this thread is for commercial wines really.

Are those your bottles? How did you get gold foil for the labels??? I ask because labeling and label design are some of my favorite activities for making my wines, and my tribute Cab Sav in memorium for my dad really could benefit!

LOL I want to know how a large building contractor became a wine retailer as well! :)

3tier.jpg

True, except in Pennsylvania... there the state is the wholesaler and the dominant retailer for wine, and the only retailer for spirits, in the state.

@ibglowin I opened one of the Kirkland Cotes Du Rone two days ago, very nice, initially has a slight reductive lees character which then opens up after several minutes to reveal a nice balance of fruit and tannin, put the cork back in, came back on the second day to even more silkier fruit. Very good now, but seems like this one could handle the cellar without any trouble.

IMG_0378.JPG

Excellent! The mark of any good wine IMHO is how it holds up on day two. For $6.99 this is a crazy good deal. Case buy if you have the space. LOL I may snag a couple more if my local Costco ever gets any in stock!

@ibglowin I opened one of the Kirkland Cotes Du Rhone two days ago, very nice, initially has a slight reductive lees character which then opens up after several minutes to reveal a nice balance of fruit and tannin, put the cork back in, came back on the second day to even more silkier fruit. Very good now, but seems like this one could handle the cellar without any trouble.

@ibglowin I opened one of the Kirkland Cotes Du Rone two days ago, very nice, initially has a slight reductive lees character which then opens up after several minutes to reveal a nice balance of fruit and tannin, put the cork back in, came back on the second day to even more silkier fruit. Very good now, but seems like this one could handle the cellar without any trouble.

View attachment 57630
I picked up 3 bottles of the exact wine from COSTCO in October-2019. I'm glad to hear that it's worth drinking now and possibly cellaring a bottle for a later year. Thanks

I recently gave @Johnd 3 bottles of 2018 wine in which one of them I found to be developing VA. This is what I received in return. Pretty sure I was not on the short end of the stick.

Thank you very much John and great labels.

Hope you enjoy them, the labels pretty much describe the grape source and some basic winemaking for each, except for the first and fourth wines. The Chilean Cab origin is obvious, this one was also barrel aged 6 months, and refused to go through MLF, it was my second attempt with grapes. The Zinfandel was my first grape wine, frozen must from Brehm, and also didn’t complete MLF. These two wines pushed me into my research on co-inoculation, and every subsequent wine has been successfully co-inoculated.

The Montsant wines are from GrapeMasters frozen must. The other two were fresh grapes from Lanza, they crushed, destemmed and froze them for me (no SO2 added) and then shipped the buckets.

Hope you enjoy them, and give me some feedback, I’d like to see how your evaluation compares to mine.

"Hi, uhhh, John, I think I have a small problem with one of my wines, and I would love to get your opinion on this. It tastes a lot like, uhh, Yellowtail Merlot, and I didn't expect that. Oddly enough, I happened to bottle the Yellowtail, I mean, I bottled MY wine in a bottle from Yellowtail, and I didn't bother to remove the label. Also, I had a batch of cheap fruit wine that tastes funny. My wife thinks it tastes a bit like Mad Dog. (Embarrassingly, I happened to bottle this in an old bottle of Mogen David that I happened to have lying around.)

I was wondering if I could send you these two fine, but subtly flawed, wines to you for your opinion? I certainly wouldn't expect anything in return, but, if I may perhaps be of service to you in the future in evaluating any of your wines, please let me know.

Yours, etc.
Sour_Grapes"

HaHaHaHa! :D

"Hi, uhhh, John, I think I have a small problem with one of my wines, and I would love to get your opinion on this. It tastes a lot like, uhh, Yellowtail Merlot, and I didn't expect that. Oddly enough, I happened to bottle the Yellowtail, I mean, I bottled MY wine in a bottle from Yellowtail, and I didn't bother to remove the label. Also, I had a batch of cheap fruit wine that tastes funny. My wife thinks it tastes a bit like Mad Dog. (Embarrassingly, I happened to bottle this in an old bottle of Mogen David that I happened to have lying around.)

I was wondering if I could send you these two fine, but subtly flawed, wines to you for your opinion? I certainly wouldn't expect anything in return, but, if I may perhaps be of service to you in the future in evaluating any of your wines, please let me know.

Yours, etc.
Sour_Grapes"

HaHaHaHa! :D

LOL!! You’re a mess!

@mainshipfred , that is an impressive scientific experiment that you started! Especially in reference to that cab blend with the clone169!

Nice job @Johnd ! I have been interested in the playing with the cab clones. Do you think it is worth it?!?

@mainshipfred , that is an impressive scientific experiment that you started! Especially in reference to that cab blend with the clone169!

Nice job @Johnd ! I have been interested in the playing with the cab clones. Do you think it is worth it?!?

I'm very pleased with both the Koch Cab and the Clone 169 Cab. I have 100% pure varietals of each that were barrel aged, the 50/50 blend that was aged in glass with oak staves (the one pictured), and a blend with some leftover Malbec from Chile'. Though I did some trials, the blends were more a matter of convenience than they were intentional / scientific, but they've all turned out pretty nicely.

Latest posts

Back