What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on the Turley list for a few years, and have never received an allocation offer, til this year finally! My dad has let me order from his allocation in the past, but alas, got my own offer and took what they offered. These are all 2015 Zinfandels, 6 Juvenile, and two each of Dragon, Dusi, Duarte, Mead Ranch, Turley Estate, and Rattlesnake Ridge. There are lots more, had them on my wish list, but got none. I've really been pining for two of their Petite Syrah vineyard wines, maybe next year. These wines are very nicely priced, almost all under 50 bucks, and most will score mid 90's when rated later this spring, if past history is an indication.
I love spring release season!!

IMG_0812.jpg

I saw that picture and immediately said "Those are Turleys!" I do not have a lot of experience with them, but the few I have had were knockouts.

They're really fabulous wines, I love them especially with spicy food, they really stand up well with them. A good Turley Zin with some duck and andouille gumbo is a match made in heaven.

Well all Bordeaux and Cabernet Sauvignons make for a boring cellar so time to mix it up a bit with some Oregon Pinot Noir from the fine folks at Figgins. Chris Figgins is the son of [URL="http://leonetticellar.com/our-history"]Gary Figgins[/URL] who is one of the pioneers in WA State wine industry. Chris grew up in and around the vineyard and winery's back in the late 70's early 80's so its in his blood for sure. Chris is now the head winemaker for Leonetti as well as his own Winery "Figgins". He was also the winemaker for Doubleback (Drew Bledsoe's winery) for a number of years.

Toil was the first endeavor into Oregon Pinot Noir. I had the pleasure of tasting their first wines at the winery back in 2012. This was a private tasting we booked as a list member. Even Mrs IB was swooning over that wine (which she rarely does). Well that wine ended up not being released and they sold it off in bulk as Chris just thought he could do better. Pretty small production still but it is coming up as more and more acres are being planted. This is the first year for a Rose'. 100% Rose of Pinot Noir and only ~150 cases produced IIRC.

Last years 2014 vintage earned a very nice 94pts WS

IMG_2098.jpg

I assume the rose' is made from the juice they drained off of the Pinot to increase the skin to juice ratio.

Most of the time when they do a Rose like this they are actually picking the grapes (much) earlier than they would normally as they want lower brix levels (lower ABV) and higher acids (and thus lower pH's).

Grapes for regular Oregon PN hang till late October sometimes!

I assume the rose' is made from the juice they drained off of the Pinot to increase the skin to juice ratio.

This is the last of my booty from the Napa trip, from Macauley Vineyards, another of the small producers we visited, but making some great wines. Got 6 of the 2015 OVZ, 3 of 2013 Beckstoffer To Kalon cabs (plus a 1.5), 3 of 2014 Cab Reserve, and just so @ibglowin doesn't get too bored with my cellar, 3-375's of 2014 Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc. They sort of botched my order processing, so upgraded my shipping, it left the winery yesterday at 4 PM and was in my office this morning at 10 AM, nice and chilly!!

IMG_0813.jpg

Spring shipping season is closing fast due to heat. More than likely the last until Fall. Left to right. 2014 Doubleback, 2013 Figgins Bordeaux blend, 2013 Secret Squirrel Cab Sauv from Corliss Estates (2nd label wine with some seriously crazy QPR made with 100% Red Mountain fruit and impossible to find outside of WA State) 2014 Avennia Sestina and Gravura Bordeaux blends and lastly a Mag of the 2013 Gravura.

IMG_2112.jpg

Last edited:
Spring shipping season is closing fast due to heat. More than likely the last until Fall. Left to right. 2014 Doubleback, 2013 Figgins Bordeaux blend, 2013 Secret Squirrel Cab Sauv from Corliss Estates (2nd label wine with some seriously crazy QPR made with 100% Red Mountain fruit and impossible to find outside of WA State) 2014 Avennia Sestina and Gravura Bordeaux blends and lastly a Mag of the 2013 Gravura.

Dang, you're going strong, my spring stuff is almost over, but can't keep up with you. Think I have a couple more on the way, but same as you, temps are about to put an end to it until after Thanksgiving.....

2013 Secret Squirrel Cab Sauv from Corliss Estates (2nd label wine with some seriously crazy QPR made with 100% Red Mountain fruit and impossible to find outside of WA State)

The Squirrel's out of the cage!! Was in my local merchant shop a little while ago, this is the 2013 GSM, and the cab will be in shortly. I'm on the "call list", so I'll get to try a bottle when it comes in, with option for up to a case. They couldn't give me the price just yet..........

IMG_0816.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Talk about an amazing wine shop. IIRC the Cab was $23 at my source. A buddy of mine that split some 13' SS with me popped one a few weeks ago and said he opened it way too soon but it was very good even now with some airtime. I have a few bottles of the 12' SS as well. Rumors have it that this may be the last year for this wine as I believe they were letting these vines mature for a couple more years before Corliss began using the grapes into their flagship wines. Corliss is list only and they don't release their wines until 3-4 years from harvest year.

The Squirrel's out of the cage!! Was in my local merchant shop a little while ago, this is the 2013 GSM, and the cab will be in shortly. I'm on the "call list", so I'll get to try a bottle when it comes in, with option for up to a case. They couldn't give me the price just yet..........

Awesome! Talk about an amazing wine shop. IIRC the Cab was $23 at my source. A buddy of mine that split some 13' SS with me popped one a few weeks ago and said he opened it way too soon but it was very good even now with some airtime. I have a few bottles of the 12' SS as well. Rumors have it that this may be the last year for this wine as I believe they were letting these vines mature for a couple more years before Corliss began using the grapes into their flagship wines. Corliss is list only and they don't release their wines until 3-4 years from harvest year.

It was actually pretty amazing, I clicked your link and read about the wine, clicked on where to buy, and was surprised to see a distributer 24 miles away. Called them and they told me where it was in stores, it turned out to be at my local wine store 1/2 mile from my office. Don't know the cab price, but the gsm was 21.

Latest posts

Back