What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked it out, looks like a winner for sure!!! 100% cab aged 36 months in new French oak. I'd be very interested to hear what you think about it.......

I am quite excited myself, I will definitely let you know!

Nice Mike, I'm going to look into hooking up with them. That's a really impressive history of cabs going back a long time.

Just got my Hall allocation, switched all of the offerings to get 6 bottles of the Jack's. I'm pretty sure that it has since sold out.

We also have been members (among a few other clubs) , this is our 3rd year. I stuck with the Ellies and Diamond Mnt. Too bad Jack's is indeed out of stock, my Halls have their own 2 shelves in the basement!

We also have been members (among a few other clubs) , this is our 3rd year. I stuck with the Ellies and Diamond Mnt. Too bad Jack's is indeed out of stock, my Halls have their own 2 shelves in the basement!

Ahhh, two very solid choices as well, I particularly like the diamond mountain. I also have amassed a fair sized collection of Halls, guess we'd better get to work on it!

Ste. Michelle Wine Estates who owns Columbia Crest, Chateau St. Michelle and about a dozen other wineries in WA State. Resistance is futile I guess.

Just a note, big industry is what it is, but the folks at San Michelle have done great things for Washington wine and should be appreciated, IMHO, for that.

That said, the Quilceda Creek is a sweet addition to the cellar :HB

I am against WA Wine being bought up by the "Budweiser" of the wine industry". No beer ever got better after being bought up by a large beer corporation and I believe the same thing holds true in the wine industry.

Then there is the fact that Ste. Michelle Wine Estates is owned by Altria Group, Inc. which is a rebranded name of Phillip Morris Inc. the tobacco and cigarette giant.

I am very happy that 95% of my wines come from small family owned businesses.

"When you buy from a small business you are not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy get his team jersey, a mom or dad put food on the table, a family pay a mortgage, or a student pay for college"

Just a note, big industry is what it is, but the folks at San Michelle have done great things for Washington wine and should be appreciated, IMHO, for that.

That said, the Quilceda Creek is a sweet addition to the cellar :HB

Last edited:
I am against WA Wine being bought up by the "Budweiser" of the wine industry". No beer ever got better after being bought up by a large beer corporation and I believe the same thing holds true in the wine industry.

Then there is the fact that Ste. Michelle Wine Estates is owned by Altria Group, Inc. which is a rebranded name of Phillip Morris Inc. the tobacco and cigarette giant.

I am very happy that 95% of my wines come from small family owned businesses.

"When you buy from a small business you are not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy get his team jersey, a mom or dad put food on the table, a family pay a mortgage, or a student pay for college"

I agree with that sentiment as well. I still buy great wines from the "bigger" guys, but gravitate to the small production mom and pops. Same reason that I go to the local hardware and grocery stores as opposed to the giants...........

It's nice when you call up the winery that produces a few hundred cases of a few different wines (great wines, of course), they know you, remember when you visited with your wife, it just feels better to buy and drink their labors of love.

I try all kinds of wines from a myriad of different winemakers. I used to hardly ever buy wines more than once unless it was a truly special wine.

Given my lack of time lately, I've found myself buying known wines more often. So when I do that. I buy what I know is good and that I really enjoy no matter who the maker is.

Great wine at a really good value is always a buy for me.

I guess I like an individual wine not only from a taste perspective but I also want one that I can connect with on a personal level. That to me is what makes wine different from other beverages!

Last edited:
Decided to stop by my local wine merchant on the way home, have become friends with the proprietor since it's "on my way home". He was rearranging and restocking, lots of new arrivals were showing up. He told me he'd found a few stray bottles that I might be interested in, at a discount. Don't drop the D word on me when wine is involved. Long story short, came home with two bottles of 2014 Caymus (his last), a 2008 and three 2009 Terlato Episode wines. Pretty good haul. Never had the Episode, anyone tried it?

IMG_0805.jpg

Well since it is TBT why not show off a 50th (yes you read that right) Anniversary Edition wine from Chateau Ste. Michelle! Hard to believe they have been around since 1967. They were certainly a gateway wine for me back in the late 80's and early 90's. This label is an exact replica of their first wine produced 50 years ago and has the now famous map on the back label showing WA State at the same Latitude as Bordeaux, France. One to drink sometime soon and one to hold for posterity.

IMG_2080.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with that sentiment as well. I still buy great wines from the "bigger" guys, but gravitate to the small production mom and pops. Same reason that I go to the local hardware and grocery stores as opposed to the giants...........

It's nice when you call up the winery that produces a few hundred cases of a few different wines (great wines, of course), they know you, remember when you visited with your wife, it just feels better to buy and drink their labors of love.

You all might love this one then. Family winery with only about 6 acres of vineyards. They produce 6000 bottles of Brunello, and they Helychrysum is maybe less than half of those. In the Cellar I have 2008, 2009, 2010. These still drink a little young with Tannins still mellowing.

san-polino-brunello-di-montalcino-docg-tuscany-italy-10648663.jpg

Just received two cases of various wines. Right now I am excited about the middle one which is four bottles of a 1995 Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva but I had one of the Chateau Cranne Bordeaux Rouge the other night and enjoyed it.

Cheers!
-johann

So here's where I really damaged the kitty, Castello Di Amorosa. Incredible place, an architectural beauty, unbelievable replica of an old castle. The wine was simply divine, and we tasted a lot of wines, so when offered case discounts, I obliged, and have a case of each laid down in the wine room. Can't wait to get into this stuff in a few years, although the Don Thomas is ready to go now. 2013 Sinalunga, 2014 Il Barone, 2010 Don Thomas, 2013 Morisoli-Borges, and 2013 Sangiovese. Thumbs up on all five!

IMG_0806.jpg

So here's where I really damaged the kitty, Castello Di Amorosa. Incredible place, an architectural beauty, unbelievable replica of an old castle. The wine was simply divine, and we tasted a lot of wines, so when offered case discounts, I obliged, and have a case of each laid down in the wine room. Can't wait to get into this stuff in a few years, although the Don Thomas is ready to go now. 2013 Sinalunga, 2014 Il Barone, 2010 Don Thomas, 2013 Morisoli-Borges, and 2013 Sangiovese. Thumbs up on all five!
Wow! That place looks dangerous!

My photo attached this time -

IMG_4277.jpg

That turned out to be an expensive trip! :)

So I have no room for cases anymore like Johnd only one's and two's these days! My Betz 2017 Spring order. They do Bordeaux in the Spring and Rhone in the Fall. Betz has been around for ever as well. Bob Betz started it and was offered a big fat wad o cash by some wealthy Aussies a few years ago so he sold the winery but has stayed on as the winemaker. Very smart move as he holds a Master of Wine degree which is next to impossible to achieve. In fact there are only 353 of them in the entire world! I get one of their flagship Cab's one of the flagship Bordeaux blends as well as a couple of their 2nd tier wines which are made from declassified lots that didn't make it into the top tier wines. These are built to last just about as long as Quilceda Creek wines but at about half the price.

IMG_2086.jpg

Got my most recent club shipment from Bravante winery. Fantastic smaller Howell mountain winery. Case of a mix of these beauties!! ImageUploadedByWine Making1491076528.270552.jpg

Latest posts

Back