What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rumor started flying last month that Denner was up for sale. Followed of course by immediate denials from inside sources. As a Denner club member I received an email yesterday from Ron Denner about the sale. Sounds like he had no heirs to pass the winery on to sadly and he is getting up in age. At least Gallo is a private company compared to say Constellation which is gobbling up wineries left and right these days. Since they have a couple years worth of wine in the pipeline we will more than likely stay members for another year but after that who knows. The pressure to increase production is already happening from the top which means quality will more than likely suffer and we are not interested in being members of any winery that is OAO by any large corporation public or private.

Luckily there are plenty of other perfectly sized privately owned family OAO wineries in Paso to chose from in the future.

A whole bunch of fabulous wine in this selection. Enjoy the Denner - they were purchased by Gallo - announced this morning (rumor has been going around for a while).

The rumor started flying last month that Denner was up for sale. Followed of course by immediate denials from inside sources. As a Denner club member I received an email yesterday from Ron Denner about the sale. Sounds like he had no heirs to pass the winery on to sadly and he is getting up in age. At least Gallo is a private company compared to say Constellation which is gobbling up wineries left and right these days. Since they have a couple years worth of wine in the pipeline we will more than likely stay members for another year but after that who knows. The pressure to increase production is already happening from the top which means quality will more than likely suffer and we are not interested in being members of any winery that is OAO by any large corporation public or private.

Luckily there are plenty of other perfectly sized privately owned family OAO wineries in Paso to chose from in the future.
Like everything in the wine industry in Paso Robles, rumors spread quickly and widely - I first heard it in late August or early September when I was out shopping for grapes for my wine making group.

Too bad about the heirs not wanting to step in - I know he has a son with a winery in Southern Oregon - but perhaps he prefers staying put and building that brand. As you say, lots of other small and wonderful family owned wineries to chose from - probably 300+ - and the search process is a lot of fun as well!!!

Let me know next time you come to Paso - love to meet up for a glass at one of our local establishments.

What an awesome first day of retirement! I have been trying to get some of Jeff Irons' product for over 2 years! It sells out so quickly when he announces a batch, and I was always a little too late. But today was the day! I was #482, #483 and #484 out of 600, and he just posted it for an hour this morning. SOLD OUT! And when you can get a selfie with a small-batch distilling legend, why, you'd better DO IT! 😍😍😍

IMG_20221216_121649679.jpg

IMG_20221216_125830589_HDR.jpg

6 weeks before the part time gig... Probably should have gotten more. 😆

This is bourbon. Rumor has it he will release a straight whiskey batch either just before Christmas or just after. IF I can order in time...

Looks like your first day of retirement DNS! :db

What an awesome first day of retirement! I have been trying to get some of Jeff Irons' product for over 2 years! It sells out so quickly when he announces a batch, and I was always a little too late. But today was the day! I was #482, #483 and #484 out of 600, and he just posted it for an hour this morning. SOLD OUT! And when you can get a selfie with a small-batch distilling legend, why, you'd better DO IT! 😍😍😍

View attachment 96437

View attachment 96438

Yay! Southern Belle is in the building. It beat the deep freeze by hours! Now to give it a rest before cracking one open sometime a day or a few days from now. 4 are going to an oenophile friend and 1 stays in the house for future consumption, so 7 lay down in the cellar. Gonna do that now, as it is an outside entry and it ain't gonna get no warmer for a few days! 😄

IMG_2898.JPG

Last Bottle's marathon delivers again! The offerings were not as good this time, but I was able to cherry-pick a few. Then I had to worry about my box getting here after LB notified me that it had shipped it but UPS tracking said for days that it wasn't moving, and LB would not reply to my inquiries. But here it is!

Happy to get more of the Xavier Vins Arcane L'Etoile Beaumes de Venise NV (70% Grenache, 20% Syrah and 10% Mourvèdre) The Arcane Etoile is a multi vintage blend from 2015-2016-2017. 95 points, Jeb Dunnack. At this point, I could afford 4. I am wanting a case, though! This is said to be a one-off blend from only these years, so when it is gone, it is gone. I was blown away by my first two. Dark and deep, just like I like.

IMG_2950.JPG

2018 Levo Under the Gun Grenache from the Central Coast in Paso Robles (94 points, Jeb Dunnack), flanked by a pair of 2019 South African Lubanzi proprietary rhone reds (75% Syrah, 18% Grenache and 7% Mourvèdre). I have had the Lubanzi before and it is a decent everyday wine that is available here at $19.95. These cost $14. This will be my first trial of Under the Gun, which I have seen priced as high as $46.99. I got this one for $29.

IMG_2951.JPG

2014 Dievole Chianti Classico (90, Wine Spectator), 2019 Gran Maestro Rossi Puglia IGT, and 2018 Pope Valley (Napa Valley) Merlot (75% Merlot, 22% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Malbec). The Pope Valley seems to be a wine drinker fav, ranking an average 4 or 5 stars on various sites. I have seen it priced as high as $89, and $48 seems to be an average. This one was $24.

IMG_2953.JPG

Summer is looking good down in the cellar.

Latest posts

Back