What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after the diamonds fell the V2 Bored-D'oh merlot-cabernet blend changed flavor and turned out on the sweet side of what I was aiming at. I probably should have kept the V1 in a carboy instead of bottling it, and then blended it again with the V2. But the V2 is bottled up now and 25 will soon fill up the rest of the space in the cellar. It has a very pleasant vanilla and oak flavor backdrop. An interesting learning experience and I of course I will drink both up. Neither are bad wines – they are on the dart board, just not bulls-eyes.

IMG_2774.JPG

Here's V2 labeled and ready to go into the cellar... Which will fill it up, even after I give a few away!

View attachment 89201

I opened a bottle of this for fun. All I am tasting now is strong vanilla from the medium oak. It tastes like it could have promise but it doesn't now. Let it sit.

Meanwhile, wine shipping season is arriving for us finally. I have more 2019 Chateau Mayne Vieil Gran Vin de Bordeaux arriving today just a bit early for the best weather. Fingers crossed. That should up my allotment of the 2019 to 30 bottles. Later, there will be arriving a 95-point Xavier Vins Ardane L'Etoile Beaumes de Venise. So, even as my state has become more and more draconian about shipping wine in, I have managed to find places that still will. Ay-ya-ay, where to put it?

Ah yes, the Xavier Vins Arcane L'Etoile Beaumes de Venise has arrived. Sometime soon I will get to see what all the 95-point (Jeb Dunnuck) hubbub is about! From the Vin de France appellation of the Rhone region of France. After it rests a while, we shall see!

IMG_2837.JPG

Ah yes, the Xavier Vins Arcane L'Etoile Beaumes de Venise has arrived. Sometime soon I will get to see what all the 95-point (Jeb Dunnuck) hubbub is about! From the Vin de France appellation of the Rhone region of France. After it rests a while, we shall see!

View attachment 94277

What was your address again?

Foul! They bottled a GSM blend in a Bordeaux bottle!

c'est contraire aux règles en France! LOL

View attachment 94277

A short story. I bottled about 4 bottles of my 2020 port (like) wine so that we could try it out. I gave a few friends that like port a bottle to try explaining that it was still young, but there would be more down the road as it ages. Well, I gave one to my brother so that he could try it and share with his daughter (she's 32 and likes wine, generally). So I ask a few times over a period of 3 weeks what he thought of the port. Each time he said he hadn't opened it yet. So the last time I ask via text, he replies "yep, the bottle is empty". I ask him if his daughter liked it. He replies that she didn't taste it. I guess he liked it a lot and didn't share. I need to bottle another gallon so I can give her some. Fortunately I had an extra gallon that wouldn't fit, so I guess I will bottle it as well.

Today is one of my favorite days of the year - the day my Pisoni shipment arrives. Pisoni is a winery in the Santa Lucia mountains near Monterey California. They grow a variety of wines but most notably they grow Pinot Noir with suitcase clones which rumor has the original vineyard being romanee conti. I’ve been a member since 2006 - it was the first club I ever joined.

The 2020 growing season unfortunately resulted in smoke tainted Pinot which they have chosen not to release. Instead, they have released a vertical selection from their library - which arrived today!!

33C1A5C8-5162-46A0-87DE-E86EDDE9EB67.jpeg

Today is one of my favorite days of the year - the day my Pisoni shipment arrives. Pisoni is a winery in the Santa Lucia mountains near Monterey California. They grow a variety of wines but most notably they grow Pinot Noir with suitcase clones which rumor has the original vineyard being romanee conti. I’ve been a member since 2006 - it was the first club I ever joined.

The 2020 growing season unfortunately resulted in smoke tainted Pinot which they have chosen not to release. Instead, they have released a vertical selection from their library - which arrived today!!

View attachment 94514

My bet is that they'll release it, all right – out the back door in bulk to a lesser winery that will blend it. Nice crate load!

Back