What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, @jswordy : this was new in my cellar last week, based on your post. Hope it's good!

View attachment 87089

It will be good and it gets better. The '90-something Koonunga Hill vintages fetch as high as $125 now, so storage won't hurt it one bit! Give that two-three years lying down and OMG. But it will be fine now, it will just have a slight edge that rounds off with more time. I am drinking a $20 bottle of Bordeaux right now that absolutely pales in comparison. But be careful Jim - it may make you long for the pricier Penfolds! Once you try Bin 389, you could be hooked.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in the Corriente that I bought (James Suckling, 94), as Telmo Rodriguez is in some circles a wine god, much like Charles Smith of K Vintners. There were only 7200 cases of the 2016 K Vintners Roma Proprietary Red River Rock Vineyard (Wine Spectator, 92) produced. That's 86,400 bottles in the whole world and I got two! :D

Last edited:
Randy, our UPS guy, just showed up with 6 bottles of this (James Suckling 91). My last non-Styrofoam-shipped buy of the year. I said to him, "Man, Mrs. Jswordy is on her last nerve about waiting all day for these, and there are no kids here. Can't you just sign for me and leave them here, like the FedEx guy does?" So, we worked it out and I thanked him for saving my marriage. Yes sir, she really WAS about on her last nerve! 😄

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

Last but not least I have been purchasing bottles of Saxum on the secondary market since the waitlist is 8 years currently. Trying to build a nice vertical so I don't have to wait 5 years to start drinking them....

View attachment 88122

View attachment 88123

Mike, in the DR there’s a saying that I’d try to translate as best as I can:
“If you complain it is because of a toothache…” 😂😂

No complaints here Varis other than my entire State is effing burning down once again for the 5th time now in the last 22 years.

Mike, in the DR there’s a saying that I’d try to translate as best as I can:
“If you complain it is because of a toothache…” 😂😂

I was really hoping to hear about the different tastes that was appreciated from different wines because honestly I read good reviews and try a wine and it is the most awful thing.
You must remember, "Tasting a wine", and your own personal tastes are two separate things. Just because an "expert?" gives a wine 96/100 score, means the wine is top class, but not necessarily to your taste. Taste is personal, remember what you like and avoid those most awful things.
You may never become an "expert?" taster, but enjoy the journey and develop your own tastes!

I got suckered into this from Last Bottle. Absolutely horrific. I just hope I can salvage a decent sangria out of it.

View attachment 88113

Thank you for posting a review that was less than enthused, showing that in real life not every bottle purchased works out. Yep, ya get a clinker every now and then. LB's prose is so relentlessly effusive that if I don't know the wine, I always Google the hell out of it first, lol. That doesn't stop the occasional clinker, though, like the Corriente. Still, the deals are great on the brands I know when they do roll around – if I see them in time. Which is another issue, lol.

You must remember, "Tasting a wine", and your own personal tastes are two separate things. Just because an "expert?" gives a wine 96/100 score, means the wine is top class, but not necessarily to your taste. Taste is personal, remember what you like and avoid those most awful things.
You may never become an "expert?" taster, but enjoy the journey and develop your own tastes!

And I am sure that @Sweetiepie, who hasn't been here since 2018, will appreciate the advice next time she visits.

I got suckered into this from Last Bottle. Absolutely horrific. I just hope I can salvage a decent sangria out of it.

View attachment 88113
There is a noticeable amount of wine around that is 'less desirable' to drink. My hope is that I don't contribute to this situation. Blending may be the only salvation.

Latest posts

Back