What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ibglowin @Johnd Once again you guys are killing me, if I had all of that high end wine on the shelf, I'd probably just start kicking my homemade stuff around on the floor.

LOL!! It's not all that high priced, I try hard to get good QPR wines, and always look to see what the stuff sells for on the market and auctions. If I can buy below those numbers, ie: the value is higher than the price and I like the wine, and it's not a crazy cult priced wine, I try to get a few bottles. You'll see none of the crazy stuff in my cellar like Screaming Eagle, Petrus, Scarecrow, etc, don't have any first growth French wines either, just can't justify the prices, and frankly, don't think that in good conscience I could enjoy a bottle of wine that costs that much. I have lucked out on a few wines that I purchased futures on, which sell relatively inexpensively, and if they rate highly, sell for way more that you pay. I also can go the other way.

None of that stops me from enjoying my own wine, it's what I drink most of the time anyway, and it's nice to have something of quality to compare it to, however humbling that may be..............

Yea, I agree, it's important to know what quality wine tastes like. I do occasionally get to taste some fairly good wine throughout the year, mostly from my neighbor who calls me over when he opens something special, but for the most part I'm sure I have "cellar palate". Sitting out on the patio when the weather is nice, opening a bottle of "our" wine.......smiling shaking our heads saying "you can't buy this anywhere".

Bought this case as futures a couple years ago, just came in this week. They offer the futures at a discounted rate a decent bit below the release price. If it is rated where it is most of the time, around 92/93, I’ll have made a pretty good deal. If it’s lower, not so much. The 2016 was 96+, if the 2017 is that good, it’ll be a great deal, and worth a lot more in 10 years. It hasn’t been rated by anyone yet, just stashed it away to sleep and await the tasting scores. Two more futures Castello cabs from different vineyards this week.
E5443C73-5D43-45F6-A99E-B3BA15474777.jpeg

My Dad / Stepmom have been keeping themselves happy with old wine. Dad bought futures on French wines in the 80’s and has a pretty impressive collection of them. I’ve been bringing them eggs from my chickens and fresh produce from a nearby farmer that‘s selling to the public while restaurants are closed. Yesterday he “reimbursed” me with a bottle of wine, knowing I’d never take his money, but wouldn’t turn down a bottle of wine.
It‘s been standing in our cellar overnight to settle the sediment, today is our anniversary, so we’ll enjoy it tonight.
52732D2A-C4AC-4D1A-8CD1-0DBF085350D7.jpeg105C0F85-DBC1-48A8-B830-185729EFDFFC.png

My Dad / Stepmom have been keeping themselves happy with old wine. Dad bought futures on French wines in the 80’s and has a pretty impressive collection of them. I’ve been bringing them eggs from my chickens and fresh produce from a nearby farmer that‘s selling to the public while restaurants are closed. Yesterday he “reimbursed” me with a bottle of wine, knowing I’d never take his money, but wouldn’t turn down a bottle of wine.
It‘s been standing in our cellar overnight to settle the sediment, today is our anniversary, so we’ll enjoy it tonight.
View attachment 60431View attachment 60432

Nice! Happy anniversary! Cooking up anything good to go with that?

Nice! Happy anniversary! Cooking up anything good to go with that?

Thank you Jim! Yes, gonna do some 8 oz. SRF gold filets in the sous vide for a few hours with a quick hot sear in a cast iron pan, served with some sautéed squash. Salad will be a burrata / tomato/ fresh basil with glazed fig balsamic vinegar drizzle.

@Johnd all I can say is wow! I'm pretty sure I wrote about my experience with Gruaud Larose in a previous post, but it's worth mentioning again. In the early 90's my wife received a 1985 vintage bottle as a gift from a client at work. I put it down in the cellar and just forgot about it, other than it was French wine, I really had no idea what it was. In the late 90's a friend was over at the house and I decided to open the bottle, neither of us knew what we were about to experience, he drank wine but had no idea about anything other than typical grocery store bottles. After the first sip went down we just looked at each other in amazement, the flavors of the fruit and tannin that started in the mouth and sensations went all the way down the throat. I'm not implying that it's the best wine in the world, my commercial wine tasting is somewhat limited, but to this day, I've never experienced anything like that at any price point.

@Johnd all I can say is wow! I'm pretty sure I wrote about my experience with Gruaud Larose in a previous post, but it's worth mentioning again. In the early 90's my wife received a 1985 vintage bottle as a gift from a client at work. I put it down in the cellar and just forgot about it, other than it was French wine, I really had no idea what it was. In the late 90's a friend was over at the house and I decided to open the bottle, neither of us knew what we were about to experience, he drank wine but had no idea about anything other than typical grocery store bottles. After the first sip went down we just looked at each other in amazement, the flavors of the fruit and tannin that started in the mouth and sensations went all the way down the throat. I'm not implying that it's the best wine in the world, my commercial wine tasting is somewhat limited, but to this day, I've never experienced anything like that at any price point.

The 1986 was no slouch either!!

It’s about that time of year, when it cools down and all that ordered wine starts drifting in!! For me, it doesn't start til November..........

Good. This thread's been quiet for a while. 😆

Latest posts

Back