What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theses 3 dudes came in these week, they’re part of our “kids” collection, wine made the year they were born, we drink it with them on their 21st birthdays, though this part of the collection is a little different.

In her previous marriage, in 2003, the lovely Mrs. Johnd gave birth to a daughter that lived only until the next day, October 31 and November 1 are indeed somber days in our home. We’ll celebrate her birth and death with the Montelena and Montrose, the “Croft” port bears the same last name her daughter was buried with.

Touching. Thanks for sharing the sad times to remind us of the beauty of happier times.

Another WTSO grab. This was a 2015 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Once again, I have no real insight to the quality of this wine, but it didn't set me back much. Vino Nobilo di Montepulciano is very similar to Brunello, albeit with one fewer year of required aging; the 2015 Brunellos are not out yet, but all indications are that 2015 was a wonderful vintage. So I decided to take a chance to try the 2015 vintage of the neighboring wine. Haven't opened yet to see if I made some "tragic" mistake! :D

View attachment 58759

No reviews in CT but here is one from WE.

looked it up on Parker as well, no dice. Few bottles owned by folks on CT, but no reviews. There were a few WA reviews of the wine from a few years back, upper 80’s to 90 range. Probably a good solid wine that you’ll enjoy.

We opened one to check out and to go with the beef tenderloin. Yeah, it is a decent Chianti, no more, no less. Decent pucker factor and flavor, a bit thin and not terribly complex. On par for the cost, so I am good with it.

Dang. You better start drinking more and start on that cellar expansion ASAP! smileycheers.gif

Putting away the 2017 Turley Petite Syrah wines, 7 Library Vineyard, 14 Pesenti Vineyard, 15 Hayne Vineyard. These wines hold their value well and have 20+ year drinking windows. Turley PS is one of the top PS wines out there, in my opinion, and nicely priced.

Lots of Faux Winery Direct bottles for sure at TW. Probably even more coming with the glut of grapes the past few years in Cali.
Yeah, I wasn't impressed overall, and didn't join their club. It's a trip for me and I happened to be in the neighborhood. No customer service and the help staff was less than knowledgeable. I was looking for a Hunter Valley Semillon and was told to go look for one on the "other reds" wall. At that point, I just decided to wander up and down the aisles. Remarkably, I found one, tho not with the other reds. Surprise.

So officially kicking off my WSET 3 study. Visited a Total Wine for the first time. I love field trips! That was an experience, but found what I was looking for. Definitely going to need a drinking partner.

View attachment 58957

Nice! Maybe I missed it, but what is "WSET 3"?

Odd's and ends from K&L. I actually ordered 2 of the Susana Balbo Malbec's and they sent two of the white blends by accident. Called them up and they apologized and said to keep it and they are sending out the correct wines today. This is a nice blend of Sauv Blanc, Semillon and Torrontes.

IMG_5188.JPG

Finally cobbled together enough to get a case shipment from Full Pull. Who wants to pop a cork on some "Involuntary Commitment"? Couple of Squirrels and Rat's in this shipment as well as other things that will lay down quite nicely for a few years. Alright, alright, alright!

IMG_5192.JPG

Hopefully the wine will live up to it's full potential in a few years. The 2014 Syrah from this vineyard made it #2 spot on the WS list of Top 100 Wines for 2017. They crop down to only about ~2.4 T per acre.

The Powerline Vineyard is a 30-acre estate vineyard, located over 1200 feet elevation. Powerline Vineyard was planted in 2012 in the foothills of the Blue Mountains, just south of Walla Walla in the Walla Walla Valley AVA. The soils are well drained with cobblestone river rocks and underlying layers of sand and gravel deposits, allowing vines to develop very deep and strong roots.The cobblestone rock was brought down river from the Blue Mountains and deposited on top of the ancient river bed. The deep sand and silt below the stones bring a great purity to the grapes, while high elevations keep acids high, producing very well-balanced wines with remarkable complex characters.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 3.46.09 PM.png

I like The Boy label.

Latest posts

Back