What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a bit of a PS fanatic, ran across these wines at an excellent price. WA scores of 96, 96, 95, and 95+ left to right. The 01 and 02 will be consumed quickly, both near the end of the window, 04’s pretty close as well. The 08’s are mature but have 10 years left. Can’t wait to get started!

7774A54B-054F-434F-8D77-C63D84EEA887.jpeg

This was a WTSO purchase. It seems to me that there was feedback on "Judge and Jury" on WMT, but I was unable to find it quickly, so took a flyer on a Sonoma red wine blend. 2017 vintage, unusual blend of Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Petite Sirah, and Carignan(e).

DSCN3525.jpg

This was a WTSO purchase. It seems to me that there was feedback on "Judge and Jury" on WMT, but I was unable to find it quickly, so took a flyer on a Sonoma red wine blend. 2017 vintage, unusual blend of Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Petite Sirah, and Carignan(e).

View attachment 58413

I think I grabbed some of that several years back (not the 2017, of course), and as I recall, it was a pretty good value. Around $12?

I’m a bit of a PS fanatic, ran across these wines at an excellent price. WA scores of 96, 96, 95, and 95+ left to right. The 01 and 02 will be consumed quickly, both near the end of the window, 04’s pretty close as well. The 08’s are mature but have 10 years left. Can’t wait to get started!

That 2008 is 17.2 ABV....holy sh**, it must drink like a meal!

No duds in this bunch. The Mayacamas was #2 on the WS Top Wines of 2019 (96pts). Black Slate was #24 (93pts). The Vieux Telegraphe CdP (95pts).

That 2015 Mayacamas cab was aged a total of 32 months in neutral wood, approximately 20 months in large wooden tanks followed by 12 months in barrel. Should be interesting!

I belong to 5 Virginia wine clubs and get 72 bottles a year plus what I buy when I do my pick ups. Even though the wines are made by 4 different winemakers I'm thinking I have developed a cellar palate. I should really start taking some advice from this thread and expand my horizon.

I belong to 5 Virginia wine clubs and get 72 bottles a year plus what I buy when I do my pick ups. Even though the wines are made by 4 different winemakers I'm thinking I have developed a cellar palate. I should really start taking some advice from this thread and expand my horizon.

Try somma dem coon ass wines ya got.......Geaux Tigers!!

I had the Chilean Cab a while ago and it was very nice. Definately full bodied with lots of fruit but I can't tell you what, I'm just not very good at that. With all that fruit I'm guessing you didn't use a lot of oak.

No barrel aging, I was still a carboy + adjuncts winemaker at that time, so you hit that one on the head. Think it was just a bunch of French Stavin cubes. Also, an incomplete MLF, but it’s mellowed a lot since bottling,

Another WTSO grab. This was a 2015 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Once again, I have no real insight to the quality of this wine, but it didn't set me back much. Vino Nobilo di Montepulciano is very similar to Brunello, albeit with one fewer year of required aging; the 2015 Brunellos are not out yet, but all indications are that 2015 was a wonderful vintage. So I decided to take a chance to try the 2015 vintage of the neighboring wine. Haven't opened yet to see if I made some "tragic" mistake! :D

DSCN3567.jpg

At least you have enough to try one now and decide if its good and gets better with some airtime or not. Then it becomes cooking wine or Sangria!

Thanks for that. A little disappointed in that "all-important number" :D, but that is okay. Thank you for the info -- I think I will treat it like a Chianti, and drink it sooner rather than later.

looked it up on Parker as well, no dice. Few bottles owned by folks on CT, but no reviews. There were a few WA reviews of the wine from a few years back, upper 80’s to 90 range. Probably a good solid wine that you’ll enjoy.

What's new in you cellar ?
Nothing, because I haven't built it yet and that's why I'm here. Building a house in a few months and looking on how I should set up an area for wine making. What do you wish you would have done if you could start over. Looking for helpful hits and setting it up. Instead of a big tub up higher, thought of putting the drain on the floor with water faucets a little higher than the carboys.(more like a school custodian has). Thanks for the help.

Theses 3 dudes came in these week, they’re part of our “kids” collection, wine made the year they were born, we drink it with them on their 21st birthdays, though this part of the collection is a little different.

In her previous marriage, in 2003, the lovely Mrs. Johnd gave birth to a daughter that lived only until the next day, October 31 and November 1 are indeed somber days in our home. We’ll celebrate her birth and death with the Montelena and Montrose, the “Croft” port bears the same last name her daughter was buried with.
2C203AE6-D824-4F40-BDA1-A3A513C421F5.jpeg

Latest posts

Back