What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Boatboy24 I agree, that's why I posted the back: in case anyone was thinking of a white blend for their fall 2018 batches.... Also, I don't know that I'd come to those particular proportions in a blend on my own.

If anyone wants to try Winc, which is a monthly subscription service, here's a referral link for you to get $20 free towards wine and I get some type of credits: https://www.winc.com/hi/hdalton4 I am enjoying it because they have a couple of labels that are single-varietal, obscure varietals, California bottles that aren't ungodly expensive, and things they source from overseas. It's a subscription of wines they source and bottle. I am using it for the more obscure stuff, to broaden my exposure to different wines - and to see if I want to make them myself later. When you order, you get free shipping and accrue free wine to send to friends as bait to get them to join the service; I have five of those free ones waiting to be distributed based on three monthly orders. They ship to Maryland and have distribution in PA and CA. I figure, if I'm going to be in some kind of pyramid scheme, it's gonna be wine!!!

A few bottles of each of these came in today. The one on the left was recommended either in this topic or in What's In Your Glass. I have a bottle chilling now. Whew, they were warm. 80 degree day here. I have one more shipment tomorrow and then I think I have to be done until fall. I don't think the cellar is in any danger of running out. LOL.

newgrape 001.jpg

I'd say it must have been pretty good, lol. Not a real big bold wine and despite the label not a super dry wine, but very smooth and an easy drinker. The rest go in the cellar.

abruzzo 001.jpg

Ah, my last has arrived, the final phase of its trip from France courtesy of an uncooperative UPS driver I had to track down for the privilege of delivery before the bottles were returned. With these bottles of old vine 2014 vintage, I hope I am well provisioned for the long and hot summer. And at half price, with free shipping to boot!

cardinal 004.jpg

Have not posted any new spring allocations for awhile so.........

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAQuAAAAJDY5ODU4NDA4LTY2NjAtNDY0MS1iNDBlLWU4OGVlYmUxOGI0Yw.jpg

Mixed case from Full Pull including this years Mr Pink Rose', Avennia's 2nd tier label "Les Trouves" which is a GSM blend. Some juice from one of the nicest (and talented) winemakers you will ever meet, Kevin White who still has his day job at Microsoft (for now). Ross Andrew Syrah and a Patricia Green (Oregon) Pinot Noir.

IMG_3198.jpg

Last edited:
Toil (Oregon) Spring allocation. 3 Pinot Noirs and 3 Rose' of Pinot Noir. Toil is a side project from Chris Figgins (Leonetti fame).

IMG_3229.jpg

Last edited:
Saving the best for last....... These are all pre-arrivals from last year that finally showed up. All of these scored 95-97 points (RP) in preliminary tastings and may go higher eventually with time. These will lay down for around 10 years I suspect before touching them. 3 CdP and 1 Gigondas (Grenache-Syrah).

IMG_3224.jpg

I am good at getting them entered into Cellar Tracker but I have to admit I don't keep track of the location. I usually end up searching until I find what I am looking for. I noticed you are using tags and hand writing scores etc. I did that at first as well but then switched over to using the plastic tags but then printing out the WS "shelf talker" as they say. I print that up and cut out and then tape it to the tag. I get a nice printed name (instead of my chicken scratch) as well as the score, tasting notes, drinking window. That way if anyone breaks into the cellar they can grab only the best easily LOL.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 8.42.32 AM.png

Last edited:
Almost forgot a couple of Costco finds from last week. I love a good Malbec but they seem hard to find outside of an Argentinian restaurant. These both came wrapped in paper from the winery (so they have to be good right)......

The Kaiken was #45 on this last years WS Top 100 wines for 2017 list. It got 90pts WS but reviews on CT are kinda mixed at the moment. $20 MSRP

The Jose Zuccardi however has gotten some rave reviews on CT. 92pts WS Price point is however about 2X what the Kaiken cost. It's almost like good grapes cost more money or something...........

IMG_3217.jpg

I am good at getting them entered into Cellar Tracker but I have to admit I don't keep track of the location. I usually end up searching until I find what I am looking for. I noticed you are using tags and hand writing scores etc. I did that at first as well but then switched over to using the plastic tags but then printing out the WS "shelf talker" as they say. I print that up and cut out and then tape it to the tag. I get a nice printed name (instead of my chicken scratch) as well as the score, tasting notes, drinking window. That way if anyone breaks into the cellar they can grab only the best easily LOL.

View attachment 48284

I looked at the printed tags, but my writing is BIGGER, and I need that!!

Latest posts

Back