What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I had the left over from the day before when I bottled and put the "wrong" label on "that" wine.
I really think it is the Carmenere and Cab blend.....it was smooth "operator"....lol

As expected, I did not get any Chateau St. Roche Chimeres Cotes Du Roussillon Villages 2015, because they showed inventory they did not have. I can still get it elsewhere but at much higher prices. Oh well. However, the merchant will keep my free shipping valid and so I will wait for something else I like to come along. Still a bit disappointed. My disappointment was leavened by the arrival of this Saturday, though. I look forward to it and await the day when some of their top wines are back in stock at this distributor. It was super hard to find a place that would ship this to me in TN - including the winery!

newwine.jpg

78DC9026-CD6E-498C-B2AD-97800027CD8E.jpeg Some recent additions to the cellar, magnum 2015 Caymus-Suisun Grand Durif (Petite Sirah), six 2014 Cade Howell Mtn. Reserve Cabs, six 2015 Outpost Howell Mtn. Cabs, three 2015 Outpost Howell Mtn. True Vineyard Cabs, three 2015 Outpost Howell Mtn. True Vineyard Immigrant, three 2015 Hall North End Cabs, and three 2013 Hall Ellie’s Cabs. Brought the Cade and Caymus back with me from Napa, others are wine club shipments. Napa wines should start to ship and arrive next week, of course while we’re having a February heat wave.......

0E42DE60-CA12-4D11-B33F-A9DC4BDE34A0.jpeg The postman earned his keep today, delivering a few more gems from my Napa trip, sadly, he had to do it in a brutal thunderstorm........
2014 Old Rutherford and Owners Reserve Guest Cottage from Beau Vigne, a small family winery with a few acres atop Atlas Peak. They’ve been making some highly rated wines, but they’re tough to get with small productions, and were sold out. Our visit there got us on “the list” to access the next release, but that’s not til fall. The Old Rutherford and Guest Cottage wines were available and really super wines, both need to lay down for a while.
Couple 3 liter Caymus Cabs, 2015 Napa and 2014 Special Selection. Love the large format bottles, hate to open them, so these guys will be around for a while.

:cJust give a call John if you need help with those large bottles. I’d trade just about anything in my cellar except perhaps the Leonetti or Figgens. :br Well, maybe......

Nothing exotic or fancy, but I did add a couple of bottles from a nearby vineyard and winery. I haven't had the Norton, but I have had their Chambourcin before, and of the Chambourcins I've tasted to date, it's probably my favorite.

A good Norton is a great thing.

Reason #86 I love WA State wines and wineries. They want your business. Placed an order for a few bottles of the flagship Cabernet from one of the better known wineries in the Walla Walla area. I noticed the shipping was almost $22 for two bottles of wine so I just put a note in the comment section on the payment screen asking politely if that really was the ground shipping charge on two bottles of wine. I figured can't hurt to ask right? Well low and behold I got an email a couple hours later asking if $12 was OK. I replied back absolutely and thanked them. The wine went out the same day and will arrive by Friday. I think this is the fourth year I have purchased wines from these guys so I have some history with them but still outstanding customer support and customer satisfaction.

Yep. #28

Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay California Vintner's Reserve -
Plush, with loads of richness to the well-honed flavors of beeswax, baked pear and lemon tart. Minerally midpalate, with a fresh and zesty finish that finishes with pastry notes. Drink now through 2020. 100,000 cases made. —KM

Last edited:
Only 135 more working days until...... I will graduate from work! Its gonna be amazing. 2015 Horsepower (Cayuse) allocation Syrah and Grenache as well as 2015 L'Ecole Ferguson Bordeaux blend. This wine was named best Bordeaux blend in the world a few years back by none other than Steven Spurrier.

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

05A10CC0-1D29-4034-8BCA-1CE6D163CC55.jpeg Got a club shipment in yesterday. Macauley is a pretty small winery up on the side of Howell Mountain, between St. Helena and Calistoga. It’s a small operation, sourcing most of its fruit, with pretty low production, 25 cases of the 2015 Stagecoach, 200 of the Cab Reserve. Nice folks, very comfortable environment, super wines to boot!!

Only 135 more working days until...... I will graduate from work! Its gonna be amazing. 2015 Horsepower (Cayuse) allocation Syrah and Grenache as well as 2015 L'Ecole Ferguson Bordeaux blend. This wine was named best Bordeaux blend in the world a few years back by none other than Steven Spurrier.

Beautiful wines, and CONGRATULATIONS on the coming FREEDOM! I have exactly 241 weeks left. Not that I am counting or anything, but... :D

Love those incredibly detailed Napa wine specs! LOL

View attachment 47520

Yeah, those "specs" for the cab are a tad lean on info, this came straight off of their website for the two I just got..................Kirk Venge, who is quoted, is the winemaker for Mac Watson. It's always interesting to hear how the grapes are handled, fermented, aged, and the final numbers, but they don't all publish that info.......

2015 Macauley Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach

CabSauv2015Stagecoach.png

Jeb Dunnuck: “Blueberries, violets, cassis, blackberry jam and scorched earth like minerality all emerge from the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach. It's undeniably sexy and voluptuous on the palate. Possessing a huge core of sweet fruit, fine, polished tannin, remarkable detail and precision, and a big finish, it's going to be one of the more approachable wines in the lineup."

Kirk Venge: Hailing from the high plateaus of Atlas peak, the 2015 Stagecoach contains all of the integral components of a blockbuster wine. For a mountain vineyard, the tannins are refined and tightly integrated. Balance is the focal point of Macauley wines and this certainly shows it nicely. Cellared correctly, this wine will age well for 25 years or more.

75 Cases Produced

2015 Macauley Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
CabSauv2015Reserve.png

Jeb Dunnuck: “Coming from multiple sites and aged 26 months in new French oak, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve tastes like the essence of Cabernet from Napa Valley. Cassis, blueberries, scorched earth, charcoal, violets and hints of tobacco all emerge from this sensational effort."

“There's a little Château Margaux-like floral quality here. Drop dead gorgeous.”

Kirk Venge: 100% Cabernet, it is sourced from specific vineyards in Rutherford and Oak Knoll appellations, it also contains a slice from one of the rarest, the mighty To Kalon Vineyard of Oakville.

200 Cases Produced

You need a top secret "Q" Clearance to see those specs plus a "need to know". Wait, I do have one of those....... Guess I have a "want to know" and not a "need to know" however. Compare and contrast!

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 10.22.43 AM.png

Back