What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stainless-steel-black-newair-wine-coolers-aw-281e-64_1000.jpg

I wish I had a better long term storage solution than a wooden wine rack in a walk-in closet....

I currently have a six bottle one in my kitchen to cool the wines I expect to drink soon. For long term storage, heh I was looking at that 400 bottle EuroCave. At $4k and over 500lbs makes it a harder choice to commit too while in between home ownership.

Currently I have an 80 bottle wine rack and about 12 cases of wine in boxes in my walk-in closet.

MQ-Xmas-Website-image.png

It was a good week for Fall wine shipments! Spring Valley Vineyards Nina Lee Syrah and Sharilee Petit Verdot. Gorman Devil You Don't Know as well as 14' Zachary's Ladder and 15' Zachary's Ladder (Red Mountain!). Somehow I missed the 14' Zac's Ladder and I was able to contact Chris and he "found" a couple bottles for me. It pays to know the winemaker! Lastly a nice 6 pack of Reynvann Syrah from the Rocks District. 3 each of the "In the Rocks" and "In the Hills". Life is good!

IMG_2720 copy.jpg

@ceeaton @jgmann67 :

Here's a commercial Zin with a hint of Petite Sirah to compare to yours. Get it before its gone.

View attachment 44787

The problem is we've done more (much more) than a hint of PS in ours. It's a 50/50.

We tested it and the pH is in the 3.7 range. When we test again, I might suggest testing the TA, too. If the TA is low, maybe @ceeaton and I add some tartaric acid to see if the fruit comes out a little more...

The problem is we've done more (much more) than a hint of PS in ours. It's a 50/50.

Always good to compare though. You may find you like one significantly more than the other and that'll give you a basis when starting your next blend. I've had pretty good experience with the Mockingbird Hill wines. Actually ordered 4 of these myself.

IMG_6122.JPG
@ceeaton @jgmann67 :

Here's a commercial Zin with a hint of Petite Sirah to compare to yours. Get it before its gone.

View attachment 44787

Ha! I ordered some of this and had shipment delayed. Arrived today. I'm loving our UPS driver. I got home and saw the little sticker on the door that said "I was here, but you weren't - signature required". I was just hoping the Mrs would be around tomorrow when he showed up again. About 90 minutes after I got home, the doorbell rang. It was the UPS driver with my wine. "I was back in the neighborhood and figured I'd give you another try". Two thumbs up.

IMG_6122.JPG

Last edited:
I was just gifted a 1996 Penfolds Kalimna bin 28 Shiraz. (and a bottle of Maker's 46!)

I think it might be time to drink it though rather than aging it longer.

Penfolds-Bin-28-1996.jpg

View attachment 45445 I brought home a couple of these from a visit to @balatonwine in Hungary. A nice easy drinking CF, only 12.5%. My chief taster, aka bride, says I should make a wine like that......perfect for a party.

You mean we had a WMT meet-up, in HungaryI? That is awesome!! Wish I had been there.

Back