What's missing in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
What's one thing you wish you had in your cellar/winery/fermenting spot?

For me it's an oak barrel. Spent the remainder of my wine budget this year on extra juice buckets. But really wish I had a barrel. Maybe in the spring.

Four solid walls. Right now my fermenting space and winemaking area is a screened-in patio. Spacious but not temperature controlled. :)

A SINK! 100%
An oak barrel or 2 is def in my near future too. But a new wineroom is also happening. Would be my 4th different setup in 3 yrs. But the jumping around has helped me know exactly what i want and don't want.
2 of those 3 setups had no water access- which is brutal. You really find out what's valued when you don't have it. So I've got a nice long list of priorities, big and small, for my ideal room.
Currently on the house hunt. As a contractor this couldn't be any more exciting. Plan to re-do the house 1 room at a time over the next few yrs- the way WE want! Hooking up my wine area will likely be a gradual project being worked on in between other projects. But I've got big plans and I'm salivating.
Priority #1 - base and wall cabs w/countertop (as big as I can fit for a work surface area). With a big...ass...SINK! And commercial pull down faucet.

Proper walls and a sink.

While we're at it, a motorized crusher-destemmer and a bladder press.

A celler intern! Since my wife won’t let me have one, I go with more space and a bigger sink.

In the vineyard, an air blast sprayer and a hedger attachment for the tractor.
In the basement “winery”, a lab bench with testing equipment (Vinametrica 300 and associated glassware) and the drain that was supposed to be in the middle of my brewing/wine making area but was left off the plans when they laid the plumbing and poured the basement concrete before I could see the layout!! That’s all.

I will have to add to those who said sink. A real double basin sink. Something I have to get by regulations anyway one I start to produce over 1000 liters.

Add to that what I would like to get out of my cellar. Well, at least out of the fore cellar. My tractor. No garage here.

I agree with @Johny99 , I could use an intern (or cellar rat).

SO, this is the cellar rat that I wanted to hire...

images

.. and, unfortunately this is the only one that my wife will let me have....

images

I am missing an all in one pump and a cellar! south Texas isn't exactly cellar rated...working on it though

the bench

Space and sinks are in highest demand. But I never thought about an intern....hmmm...let's see if I can float that idea by the better half?

i would like more space, double sink, space, allinone pump and space. that is all

On this Thanksgiving I would like to be thankful for my large laundry sink, lots of space, 69 gallons of wine aging, 31 bottles bottled today, walk-in cooler, temperature controlled chest freezer, Vimetrica SC 300, floor corker, 14 carboys, 2 barrels and requested an AIO for Christmas. I'm one lucky dawg. Spring harvest can't get here soon enough.

Latest posts

Back