What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We visited our younger son in southern Georgia, and had a great visit. My DIL purchased a bottle that was kind of surprising, although she knew I'd find it interesting. Nope -- not wine -- mushroom elixir. I have no idea if it does what is claimed, but it was an interesting drink.

mushroom-1.jpgmushroom-2.jpg

Friday night we did a Scotch tasting of what my son had in his collection, ordered from left to right by his estimation. Generally my elder son and I agreed, although the McClelland (mildly peaty) and the Singleton are too different to compare except by preference.

scotch-1.jpg

Yesterday we stopped at a local liquor store and each purchased a bottle, all of which are very good, and also too different to easily compare:

scotch-2.jpg

The Glenmorangie is Bourbon barrel aged and Port barrel finished, giving it a floral aroma and taste. Very nice. The High Rye was a surprise, as we'd not heard of a Scotch rye before, and it exceeded expectations. The JW Double Black is worth the price difference above the normal JW Black.

Last night we listened to a band in the park, and I sampled a local stout, also quite good.

Stout.jpg

This is the first retail berry wine I have bought.

Fun!

There is nothing on the nose, alcohol and wininess. Maybe a hint of berry, but you are looking for it. Digging deep. The flavor is a light red with strong berry components. It lingers to bitter which I might identify with Haskap if I were more familiar with the berry.

@BigDaveK and I were talking about gardens and he was planting Honey Berry. Haskap in Ohio. It piqued my interest on the fact that it jumped out at me from the shelf as I walked by, but it was fresh in my mind from our conversation. They will withstand AB winters.

Very drinkable. Good at first pour. Better with breathing. Fuller and deeper.

I thought it might be better cold and I woulda bet money that they were different wines. Bright, fruity, and lacking, chilled. Maybe more sugar woulda made it work, but it turned into a fruit punch.. But wine is simple, right?
PXL_20230521_002946641.jpg

Last edited:
No photo blend in a glass (I got a new phone which I need to find a new cable for my laptop. Trust me its deep dark red from the blackberries.

1/2 Raspberry Sour Cherry 2019

70% raspberries
30% pitted frozen sour cherries
6 lbs/ 1 Imperial gallon of water both frozen 3lb sugar

1/2 Tripleberry Cassis 2022

12 lbs frozen raspberries
12 lbs frozen wild blackberries
1 lb dried elderberries
12 lbs sugar to start - added more later to get alcohol to 18%
4 Imperial gallons of water
30 medium toast American oak cubes
1 bottle of French Cassis liqueur then sorbated

Colour - nice deep red

Smell - very fragrant black fruit bomb

Acid - perfect for the sweetness from the fruit port (Tripleberry)

Tannin - fine

Sweetness - perfect due to the acid. It is sweet but doesn't taste sweet

Flavour - good rich pot-pourri

Aftertaste - long finish very tasty "blend in a glass"

The whole point of this was to try something totally out of the box i.e. not paint by numbers winemaking. A really interesting way to use sour cherries.

No photo blend in a glass (I got a new phone which I need to find a new cable for my laptop. Trust me its deep dark red from the blackberries.

1/2 Raspberry Sour Cherry 2019

70% raspberries
30% pitted frozen sour cherries
6 lbs/ 1 Imperial gallon of water both frozen 3lb sugar

1/2 Tripleberry Cassis 2022

12 lbs frozen raspberries
12 lbs frozen wild blackberries
1 lb dried elderberries
12 lbs sugar to start - added more later to get alcohol to 18%
4 Imperial gallons of water
30 medium toast American oak cubes
1 bottle of French Cassis liqueur then sorbated

Colour - nice deep red

Smell - very fragrant black fruit bomb

Acid - perfect for the sweetness from the fruit port (Tripleberry)

Tannin - fine

Sweetness - perfect due to the acid. It is sweet but doesn't taste sweet

Flavour - good rich pot-pourri

Aftertaste - long finish very tasty "blend in a glass"

The whole point of this was to try something totally out of the box i.e. not paint by numbers winemaking. A really interesting way to use sour cherries.
Sir.. You can login on your phone. I often write on the computer and refresh my phone to bring up text and add photos in between paragraphs. No need to transfer images

thank you I'll try what you suggested
I have the Microsoft 365 subscription, which includes 1 TB of OneDrive space per license. My Android phone is setup to upload all pictures to OneDive, which are automatically downloaded to my desktop and laptop PCs. I take a picture and 1 to 5 minutes later, it's on both PCs. Very convenient, plus it provides an additional backup.

Note: I put nothing of importance on any online service, only things that wouldn't bother me if someone else saw.

Back