What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs WM81 saw a recipe for a drink she wanted to try -- Aperol Spritz. It's easy -- 3 oz Prosecco, 2 oz Aperol (orange liqueur with bitter aftertaste), and 1 oz sparkling water.

When she discovered Aperol has a bitter aftertaste, she lost interest, but since mine was piqued, I purchased a bottle.

I made a drink and my son & I split it. Both agreed the aftertaste was offputting, and Mrs WM81 did not like it.

Being the bright guy he is, my son suggested that as an aperitif it properly goes with food. We each snarfed a piece of smoked gouda, and WOW! The bitter aftertaste was muted and the drink works very well in this regard.

aperol-spritz.jpg

We are grilling strip steaks for dinner. Mrs. WM81 will enjoy the Prosecco, while #1 son and I will enjoy a 2016 red.

Guess I gotta share one with @jgmann67 since he drank all of his years ago, such a wine lush . . . it's still pretty darn good at almost 6 yrs old!

7-8-22_yum-wine.jpg

Sorry Jim, only found one bottle so far. But found a case of original Forza, some 5 yr old Pinot Noir, a case of the Zin from the mix you made, a 5 yr old Brunello.... I'm having some fun tonight on a wine safari!

Also found a wine from a Chilean chianti juice bucket with about 10 lbs of macerated cranberries added. My wife is excited, that was one of her favorite wines! Curious if the cranberries are still discernable, yeast pitched 5 years and two months ago.

Last edited:
Wow, it’s been awhile since I posted.
Now fully recovered from 2018 bypass surgery.
Found a couple old bottles of concord wine made from grapes I bought at the shady maple farmers market in PA.
This wine is dated 2016, and at the time it didn’t turn out very good. Kept a few bottles and opened one this week, it has aged very well, I’m quite surprised.
Got some others from that time frame as well, gonna try them this weekend.

Found a couple old bottles of concord wine made from grapes I bought at the shady maple farmers market in PA.
This wine is dated 2016, and at the time it didn’t turn out very good. Kept a few bottles and opened one this week, it has aged very well, I’m quite surprised.

Good to see you back and fully recovered.

Glad to see you back and recovered!

You picked a bottle from probably some of the best wines in NM. Meaning the DH Lescombes Limited Release wines. The family owned winery is 100% French heritage and was an early entry into growing Vinifera grapes in NM. Their LR Cab Franc is quite amazing year after year. I bought one years ago that won a double gold and it was definitely worth the price of admission. Glad you enjoyed your trip to NM and the wine!

Very interestingly it tastes a bit like a Madeira. The Mrs. and I had it on our trip to NM.

It was SO good… such a wonderful and smooth flavor. I love the family history too. And... they can ship to NY… We had an absolutely amazing time hiking around Abiquiu. Thoroughly loved it. It was also the first time we were able to see the Milky Way in person, shooting stars and all. And watching storms form, rain like heck with thunder and lightning, and then dissipate, all miles and miles away across the plains. Just spectacular. Can’t wait to go back!

Latest posts

Back