What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to like it, I did. It was a different brand but it wasnt anything great for me. I love the peach whisky though. Yum

Ah well, different strokes. But brand matters. I was able to snag a bottle of this ONE TIME, and have been looking for it again ever since. Tried lots of other brands. Nope, not at all as good.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.58.28 AM.png

I was at Costco on Tuesday night and scored some really good Spanish Tempranillo at that same price point. It didn't have the fancy 92 points stickers and was a screw-cap so no free bottle, but at that price how can you not try it. I have only regretted one wine purchase from Costco. They try to only have decent wine.

I marvel at the economics of commercially making a wine at that price point. I figure Costco marks up at least 30%, so that means they are getting the wine at about $4.50/bottle or $54/case. It has to cost the winery about $1.25 to make that bottle for those numbers to make economic sense, doesn't it?? Maybe $2 at the outside. And that (for my Tempranillo at least) included shipping from Spain. Amazing to me, I suppose economies of scale really come into play for them.

A load of fun, right here. Made the trip with my friend who will be in the Dominican Republic in July. Fun wines, no stuffiness allowed. Case of Excelsior cab sav (toldya I'd get some!), case of Jam Jar sweet shiraz. The Excelsior kicked butt on a $22.99 Napa Cab also served at that university event I went to. I paid $9.99 a bottle, minus a 10% case discount. The Jam Jar is a "I don't feel like being a wine snob right now" wine, and you can't get it here for under $11 a bottle. But LIQUOR PLANET had it on sale for $6.99. Did I intend to buy a case? No, but... :D Both are South African.

The beer is all Presidente (product of the Dominican Republic), despite the boxes. I have a carboy of my Bored-D'oh V2 to bottle, probably tomorrow, and then the wine cellar is officially full. No room for a bottle even if I wanted to buy one. Likewise, no room in my shop refrigerator for more beer, either. They knocked 10% off the entire purchase, too, PLUS we got to sample several high-dollar whiskeys and bourbons on their dime (100 to 121 proof). Left feeling GREAT, lol... Another great trip!

IMG_20220528_125031919_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back