What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had family visit over the weekend, serving ham. Pinot Noir goes great with ham!

View attachment 84381

This was a late Christmas for us, as illness and weather scotched our original plans. My b-in-l gave me a wine chiller for Christmas, and it works well to keep a chilled wine chilled.

View attachment 84383

During the weekend we tried a few wines I purchased at Costco. The Barolo and red blend were very nice.

View attachment 84379

View attachment 84380

The tawny port was just "ok". I will finish the bottle, but won't buy it again.

View attachment 84382

I have one of those Barolo.

We had family visit over the weekend, serving ham. Pinot Noir goes great with ham!

View attachment 84381

This was a late Christmas for us, as illness and weather scotched our original plans. My b-in-l gave me a wine chiller for Christmas, and it works well to keep a chilled wine chilled.

View attachment 84383

During the weekend we tried a few wines I purchased at Costco. The Barolo and red blend were very nice.

View attachment 84379

View attachment 84380

The tawny port was just "ok". I will finish the bottle, but won't buy it again.

View attachment 84382

I’m at Costco now, we’ll that’s like almost every day 😀, and they have that Amore for $7.99, great deal and guess I will get one to check it out.

Mcgregor vineyards. Only 5 hours from me. Sounds like it’s worth a visit this summer.
It is. Some of their wines are reasonably priced, such as the Unoaked Chardonnay and Vignoles. The reds are pricier, and some are way out there. However, finding Saperavi, Sereksiya Charni, Rkatsiteli, and Muscat Ottonel is difficult.

Mmmm! Room temperature tasting. Light nose, very smooth on the palate with some fruitiness, slight pepper. Very nice.

IMG_2613.JPG

Yeah, I know but I drink only reds. It's tuna, so I'm good. :)

IMG_2614.JPG

I think I'd take the Pedestal over this, but I am sure that's varietal preference. FUN!

So, tonight I paired up my ribeye with 2017 Brickmason, which is a Lodi zinfandel blend (80% zin). This is a great midlevel wine, and the ensuing 6 years have helped it. It avoids so many of the (in my opinion) mistakes made by California winemakers in attempting to make their zins "big" wines. Yes, there is pepper, but it is muted and is mainly in the finish, where it rightfully belongs. It's not inky dark, but dark enough in the glass owing to the 10% syrah, 5% petit syrah and 5% cabernet blend. Very nice at 5 years. I still have a few; maybe they will make it to six. (Yes, I ate the whole steak. this keto dieting is awful, lol...)

IMG_2617.JPG

I made it home early from work just ahead of the first storms. Gonna get increasingly bumpy. My riding the storm out wine is Don Simon Seleccion Tempranillo, a wine that I bought on a lark for $5. Amazingly, it tastes like ... a wine that I bought on a lark for $5. Perfect for the kind of day I have had. Go ahead, take great big gulps. No problem. 🤣

IMG_2624.JPG

UNDER EDIT: The storm was a bust. I had my 2 allowed glasses of this. :)

Last edited:
Just got the brew day equipment all stored, and it's time for a home-brewed Japanese rice beer reward! My gosh, there were only 3 beers there when I checked. Glad I am brewing up some, the situation is critical.

IMG_2630.JPG

Latest posts

Back