What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 15 years ago I was shopping at Total Wine (wine chain in USA) and the salesman recommended I buy a case each of the Merlot and Chardonnay from Canyon Oaks. By the case it was $2.50/bottle. He said they had dramatically overproduced the year before and dumped a huge amount on the market -- he thought the wine was very good for a $10 bottle (based upon prices then) and at $2.50 it was a steal.

Total Wine didn't have it available for tasting, but I had dealt with this guy before and had found his recommendations to be spot on. So I took the chance and purchase a case of each.

Two days later I went back and purchased another case of each. Wow! That was a great deal! I haven't found one that good since then.

Price is a funny thing -- we want to pay less, but sometimes we don't trust it if the price is too low. A restaurant owner I knew had Fetzer Sundial Chardonnay on his list for $7.50 (this was many moons ago). He told me that his normal process was to double the wholesale price, but the wholesale on this wine was $2.25. If he put it on the menu at $4.50, he wouldn't sell few bottles as folks would think it was junk wine. So he basically tripled the wholesale prices and it was his best seller in that price range.

Just my 2 cents, but for me price can be totally irrelevant when it comes to wine. I have purchased $5 bottles I thought were really good, and I have bought $100, rated stuff I would not drink another bottle of to save my life. Wineries also know that price is related to quality in the consumer's mind (as is label design, BTW), and so they are predisposed to hike it if they can. You're correct, too, production has a direct effect. I've had cheap wines made when the bottler bought the bulk overage or production from other wineries that were fantastic. Here is where I thank God I have an adventurous and open palate that allows me a more unrestricted experience. Yeah, I am gonna drink some clinkers, but it is FUN to sample cheap wines and discover a hidden gem I like that costs me the same for a case that I would pay for a bottle of some fancy label wine, yet clearly is superior to its price.

We've had the $2.95 Oak Leaf Chardonnay from Walmart and it was good. I use it for topping up.

Oak Leaf is a label where I have stumbled on wine I've bought for cooking or spritzer use, and instead I go, "No, wait a minute here. This is too good to dilute!"

You know I have tried that line several times while wine tasting in Paso Robles and or Edna Valley (SLO) when purchasing a 3 pack of single vineyard Pinot Noir futures. For some reason I keep seeing the host ........ :rolleyes: .........

Cut the guy some slack. He's retired and on a fixed income. ;)

Ruh-roh... Time for a buying trip to my favorite place in the universe – LIQUOR PLANET! It's about 40-50 miles away, and my friend is due to arrive here for our adventure in a half hour or so. Updates later. :D

IMG_2436.JPG

My friend Robert and I blasted off and landed in the 1950s at...

IMG_20211016_140043243_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211016_125904764_HDR.jpg

Hmm, where to start?

IMG_20211016_130337193.jpg

I brought a list and danged if they didn't have anything on it but Jameson! And this is the place that sampled me into liking the other stuff on my list! Anyway, I passed on these... ugh...

IMG_20211016_132153622.jpg

This Pritchard's Double Barrel is some of the finest bourbon I have ever tasted (and quite the niche bourbon in NYC, I am told), but back when I tasted it, it was just $65 a bottle. Should have stocked up.

IMG_20211016_134844475.jpg

We were able to find some stuff, though. :D

IMG_20211016_140018222_HDR.jpg

My haul (Beers not shown: Nashville Brewing Lager, Nashville Brewing Amber, Presidente).

IMG_2437.JPG

We have successfully re-entered Earth's atmosphere now. What a fun trip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back